Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an encounter with a lorry on a roundabout a few weeks ago. I've got the go ahead to get the damage repaired but the body shop is struggling to get hold of a new passenger door mirror - it's been on order for over 4 weeks now and Vauxhall aren't able to advise on a timescale. Car's still driveable (gaffa taped front bumper, gaffa tape & cable ties on the mirror) so I'll wait a bit longer, but just in case I thought I could look into getting one from USA. Does anyone know:
  • Is the Volt mirror exactly the same as the Ampera?
  • Does LHD/RHD make any difference to the mirrors (different angles)?
Thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,714 Posts
Off the top of my head, the US version will have the disclaimer about 'Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear'. It may be that their nearside is convex where when on the driver's side here they are flat, there are 4 parts on the parts list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you get stuck order the one from the USA in the USA it’s the pax mirror that has the words on it so in the uk it’s the driver mirror , mine is from the USA as shipping from Germany was on back order and for the full assembly it’s was 400 quid , from the USA including shipping a lot less and much quicker , as I recall I used the eBay international shipping service with the part from a us dealer , the top cover of the mirror has to be spray painted the correct colour as it comes unpainted , looks like they have one left

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
That eBay one shows US passenger side = UK driver's side! Don't get the wrong side !

@Doc Tim , I'm interested to know exactly what the damage is. Any chance you can post me the broken bits - any plastic parts, any metal linkages inside? There have been a few broken door mirrors before, I'm wondering if it's feasible for me to do a 3D printed replica ( maybe I'd machine up some metal bits as well, sort an LED bulb,... that would be far cheaper than the £150+ prices we're having to pay for new ones. They'll only get rarer over time... Plz ping me a note, happy to refund postage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'll suggest the USA link to the body shop, with the crash damaged one as a last resort.

HandyAndy - the body shop will be doing the repairs, but I can ask them to save the old mirror unit for me (though it is a bit mangled). I've got top cover (picked up off road) and the indicator (disconnected because it was just dangling).

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Hmm, that looks like there are motors doing the mirror-moving that have been completely wrenched away. There's bound to be some very similar GM mirror mechanism around somewhere, but I can see it taking a lot of time & effort to find one that could be re-covered with an Ampera-shaped skin. I think I'll give this a miss.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I bought and fitted a new passenger side mirror to my Amp in 2019. I purchased it brand new from the USA and although I cannot recall the full price, I remember thinking that it was reasonable for the complexity of the design. Fitting proved easy - the only hard part was removing the door trim without breaking anything.
This is the one that I bought:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts