Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Ampera for 9 years now and I was thinking its about time I started looking for a replacement. I was thinking of going for a full EV. So, the question is what models would you be looking at?

I need something that will be able to cope with longer trips 200+ miles without having to spend too much time looking for a charging point and also not having to wait too long for the charge to happen.

Cost does come into it but for now perhaps ignore that but stay below the really expensive versions.

If you can give any pointers / gotchas to look out for (especially for your suggestion), it's been a while since I was in the market for a new car and I am probably not fully up to speed on the "modern car sales tactics".

Thanks in advance for any input you care to give.

(Note: if you want to buy the car make me aware of your interest)

·
Registered
495 Posts
No experience of them but my neighbour is shortly replacing his ICE Kia Niro with an electric one. I've been in the car a few times and it is "nicely appointed" and a bit larger than the Ampera, and will certainly be near the top of my shopping list if/when the Amp has to go.

This pandemic, and my altered lifestyle since retiring, mean that I am hardly covering any miles so it males it very difficult to justify £40k + on a car which just stands outside my house for most of the week. He is getting his on a 4 year lease, so if I change I may look at that option too.

The other inhibitor for me is that technology is moving so fast and the car you buy this week will be pretty obsolete in a couple of years time (and thus maybe less desirable - harder to sell? - though I can see opposing arguments to that). And of course EV car prices will come down over time as they better penetrate the mass market, in my opinion.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've had mine for coming up 4 years now, and the only thing I'll be replacing it with is a Tesla - either a used S or preferably a new Y, depending when I'm ready to make the change, but most likely in the second half of 2021.

I've looked at other makes and models, but there's always something they seem to be lacking compared to Tesla, be it range, efficiency, charging speed, OTA updates etc, so for me I'd rather wait and replace the Ampera with something I'll be completely happy with. After all, the Ampera owes me nothing and costs me nothing, so waiting is the most financially advantageous path for me.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka e Launch Edition May 2021 (nee Ampera Electron May 2012)
416 Posts
I'm in same position, nine years in May, pure pleasure. Test drove the Corsa, absolutely fine but a tad small, tight fit to get a fridge in back.
Now waiting for Mokka, reservation fee paid. Hopefully almost as 'well engineered' as the Ampera. Having said that I really have no idea what I'm talking about, picked up all my jargon from this site!
Vauxhall seem to be aiming to punt Mokka out by end of Spring.
Also seemed the best option to part ex Ampera and continue using Arnold Clark for servicing etc.
Of course if you have a surfeit of offers for yours you can pass them on to me.:unsure:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm with @smokie on this, I was looking to change the Ampera this last year, but with the pandemic have hung on, The Amp owes me nothing and is the best car I've ever owned. Given current mileage (0+) I can not justify a new drive ornament currently. Early last year I looked at the Ioniq, very nice, bit short range though. The Nero, not bad and the M3 (m3 - no hatch so that went out of consideration. VW - I'm afraid dieselgate clouds my judgement. Corsa and clones, too small. I'm not a fan of the SUV style though. Would like an Astra sized hatchback with heated seats and 250mile + summer range.

I've decided to sit on the fence for a bit and look at the ModelY, possibly the smallY they are speculating about or the Ford. The Amp is still ahead of most of the cars on the market I feel, though I wish it had 5 seats.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have an Ampera, ID.3 Life + heatpump, and Ioniq 38 kWh outside to play with!

ID.3 will do 200 miles in winter, well over in summer, has 100 kW charging to 30% SOC which then reduces linearly to 50 kW at 70%, stays there to 80%, then trails off like so many EVs do. Flakey s'ware is putting some owners off, but that will get fixed over next few months. Interior controls are very minimalist, and not to my liking. But can live with them. Ride is excellent, super quiet, and feels mechanichally really well built. Something like 1/2 an hour to do 20->80% SOC I think.

Cheaper is Ioniq 38 kWh 2nd hand, remarkably good value imho. It's 10% more efficient than ID.3 (true 70 in wet, my measurements) so this goes like a 45 kWh car. Almost identical to Ampera with similar excellent aerodynamics. Is easier to get into, maybe roof-line is a tad higher, but I don't bash my head getting in, which I occasionally do in Ampy. Lots more toys and gadgets you get as standard, pay a shedload more for these on ID.3 (rear camera for one!). But suffers from slow charging, seems to do about 45 kW up to 50% SOC, then drops to 33 kW , then a bit more, so plan for an hour to do 20->80% SOC in this. Ride is fine, not quite as composed as ID.3, and more tyre noise. But any EV is silent compared to ICE! V decent 5yr wty as well.

I too wanted a replacement for Ampy, so bought the Ioniq in October thinking I'd never afford an ID.3. I've given up waiting for an EV hatchback that can tow small tailer/motorbike. Main requirement was to do a 160 mile trip non-stop in winter conditions. Ioniq did this trip, I hypermiled as was 1st ever in it, 1 day after buying it, used radar-controller ACC to follow HGVs and got there wih 40 miles left on the (accurate) GOM. So I reckon I can do that trip at 60 in winter. WLTP is 193 miles & that's a genuine summer range I understand, maybe even at 70 on motorway. But you need that safety margin, which I got by hymermiling.

Then ID.3 appeared with huge PC etc discounts, so couldn't resist getting one. Have paid of the PCP (really don't like the mileage restrictions etc etc) but get to keep the 2500 PCP discount (in reality that's about the interest payments over 3-4 years of the PCP loan bit). So the Life model + heatpump + alloys cost me £28,765. But no rear camera! This EV with 58 kWh has WLTP about 263 miles, realistically that's more like 175 miles at genuine 70 on M'way in very wet & cold conditions. So this wll do my 160 mile trip with ease and not having to hypermile it. Details of my range tests here:
ID.3 58 kWh+HeatPump .vs. Ioniq 38.4 kWh...

You may find a good-price ID.3 on autotrader, but go for Family or Business or better, if you want all the toys, and especially that rear camera for easy parking! Oh, and my Ioniq's on there as well, I can recommend buying it! :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd wait for the new Ioniq range, if you don't want a Tesla. The original Ioniq had very fast charging (70kW into 28kWh usable) which was very handy. Unfortunately the facelift model doesn't charge as fast.
We have Ioniq28 and Tesla MS70D, the Ioniq compares very well (apart from performance, obvs)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Had Ampera for 3 years and 30k miles and loved it. Lost it when I moved company.

Bought myself a Leaf 30 which I really enjoyed using for another 30k miles but far less comfortable - gave me lots of back and hip problems.

Bought a Kona 64kWh when they came out. Outstanding car in every respect. Just as comfortable as Ampera albeit more upright driving position. Have done 40k trouble-free miles and never got less than 225 miles range in depths of winter hammering down motorway.

If you need more room, eNiro is pretty much same car. If you don't need as much range Ioniq is absolute bargain. You can get on personal lease for around £200 a month.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm planning to keep the ampera for now, I'd like to go full EV but things are moving so fast that I can see significant depreciation in current generation EV's. I tend not to buy new anyway let someone else take the big inital depreciation.
The ampera owes me nothing and will still have a market until pure Ev's get down to ICE costs which is probably gen 4 or gen 5 pure EV.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I'm with @smokie Would like an Astra sized hatchback with heated seats and 250mile + summer range.
Coming from Tesla to the UK 2023-2025 ................... £25k. and most like released into Europe first before nthe USA , as the worlds biggest C class hatchback market.

Just hang in there.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
656 Posts
Coming from Tesla to the UK 2023-2025 ................... £25k. and most like released into Europe first before nthe USA , as the worlds biggest C class hatchback market.

Just hang in there.
That's a lotta speculatin'

·
Ampera Advocate
335 Posts
I have now backed up words with deeds and am expecting a used Model S to arrive in the next 2 weeks. In my view, the Ampera is the best EV option for below £10k but it was always designed as an interim measure until full BEVs became an affordable and realistic prospect. We're not at that point yet and only the fortunate few can get a full BEV with more than 200 miles of range so the Ampera fills a vital niche in the EV market.

If none of my friends want it, my blue 64 plate, (2013 model), with 83k will become available shortly. PM me if you want more details before it goes onto the Classifieds.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Now probably is a good time to move on from the Ampera. I sold mine a while ago while prices were particularly high and bought a Zoe ZE40 (on an amazing deal!) and followed that up with my current ZE50.

The Zoe is a very different car to the Ampera but it has worked well for me. I rarely use it for long journeys as we have the Model 3 LR, but I need the flexibility. I have done Newbury to Doncaster in the ZE50 and it was fine taking it steady as arrived with 20 miles left. It does have a genuine 200+ mile range in summer.

I like the Ioniq (particularly the SE) but it was a lot more on PCH that the deal I got on the ZE50 back in April 2020. My PCH is only 2 years and by late 2022 I suspect used Ioniq prices won't be as strong so might buy one then. There are quite good PCHs available - see below. I would be hesitant to buy one cash at current prices - as above I am not confident residuals will remain strong.
Neither the Ioniq nor the Zoe charge quickly on CCS so are not the best cars for regular long distance journeys. For that use case I'd recommend minimum 100kW charging and until more charging points, a Tesla is probably the best option...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts