Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a Citroen C-Zero and we've managed to damage the casing of the remote key fob; still got all the bits, just need a new housing for them.

Turns out they don't seem to assist online, so I called at the Citroen dealer today, who wanted... wait for it... £196. That price doesn't include any reprogramming — that, believe it or not, would be an extra fifty quid — it's literally for the plastic case that the key and transmitter unit fit into.

Now, I'm generally civilised enough to refrain from using four letter words with people I've only just met, but there are some situations that swearing was invented for, and frankly that was one of them. So I did.

Does anyone here know of a more reasonably priced option that might be available to me? Thanks aplenty in advance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion, but they're not the right ones unfortunately. Believe me I've spent a good while trawling ebay, Amazon, Google et al. and there are hundreds of suppliers for similar looking fobs, but unfortunately they're not the right one. I bought a couple just to be sure, but they're slightly too small and not quite the right shape. :-(

I'm buggered if I'm going to pay two hundred quid for a plastic case though. I'm going to set about it with some black Sugru, and cover up the sodding logo while I'm at it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Tim - did you manage to get another key? Just curious, as our C Zero only came with one (not sure if this is normal) and we would like a spare.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours came with one central locking key fob, and one simple key without the electronic transmitter. It appears though that if you've only got the simple key, you either can't get into the boot, or you can't lock it when you leave the car, unless we've missed something.

I wasn't going to pay £200 for a plastic case for a key fob, so I replaced the battery, then as I said above, just stuck the whole thing together with a couple of packs of black Sugru. As such, I've put off having to replace the key for ~4-5 years, by which time it may well be someone else's problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been thinking along the same lines, as I'm always paranoid about losing things. Is there any reason why a regular Fit key would not work in a Fit with auto-locks? I assume the key is chipped somehow, and has to be both cut and programmed to work with a specific car. Even just hanging on a hook in a closet would provide some peace of mind.And i googled and find Cicero Locksmith and tell them the whole story and they reach within 20 minutes at my place and eolve my problem.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've been thinking along the same lines, as I'm always paranoid about losing things. Is there any reason why a regular Fit key would not work in a Fit with auto-locks? I assume the key is chipped somehow, and has to be both cut and programmed to work with a specific car. Even just hanging on a hook in a closet would provide some peace of mind.And i googled and find Cicero Locksmith and tell them the whole story and they reach within 20 minutes at my place and eolve my problem.
How much do you get paid for these posts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts