Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change halogen headlamp in e Niro to LED head lamp. What are the challenges including costs?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Not sure about the States but in (most parts) of Europe this is illegal. There are some clips on youtube of people that did it and apparently it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
649 Posts
Is it illegal to fit LED headlights if you change over the entire unit?
Nope, but it's expensive and I know in Spain you need to have the car checked and approved.That's no big issue though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Problem is there are no type approved (Road legal) LED bulbs.
Even if you already have LED bulbs fitted by manufacturer putting in new LED bulbs would be illegal.
For some strange reason the whole headlight unit needs to be changed, as this is the part that is type approved.
Would you ever get done for it? Probably not.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's not as if the LED headlights fitted in the e-niro are anything special, not worth the expense of swapping entire unit for the little gain. Plus also to note is how cheap the halogens are to replace, if you had a fault with the LED light then it'd probably cost a lot more.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The whole UK and illegal bit has been mentioned in many previous posts. The poster is not in the UK so the UK specific legalities may not apply outside of the UK.

To the OP,I forgot to mention that my bulbs cost about $20 for the pair.

Search AliExpress for "ZES LED Headlight bulb". I think it's a HB3 / 9005

1 - 8 of 8 Posts