Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 gen 1 Leaf has had a slight knock at the front end for a while now and whilst it only does it on bumps, it's annoying so I want to fix it. When I fixed my broken suspension top mount I fitted new arb drop links so I don't think it's them, which leaves the ball joint and lower arm bushes as the next cheapest things to replace. Although I could buy all the bushes separately, it's so much easier and just as cheap to buy a new lower arm complete with new ball joint and bushes already installed.

However they are so many replacement parts available I wondered if anyone had recommendations as to which ones would be OK? Ebay parts average around £30 per side (I even found £55 for a pair,) Eurocarparts/carparts4less are around £60 per side and I can only imagine main dealer prices are considerably more.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
My 2012 gen 1 Leaf has had a slight knock at the front end for a while now and whilst it only does it on bumps, it's annoying so I want to fix it. When I fixed my broken suspension top mount I fitted new arb drop links so I don't think it's them, which leaves the ball joint and lower arm bushes as the next cheapest things to replace. Although I could buy all the bushes separately, it's so much easier and just as cheap to buy a new lower arm complete with new ball joint and bushes already installed.

However they are so many replacement parts available I wondered if anyone had recommendations as to which ones would be OK? Ebay parts average around £30 per side (I even found £55 for a pair,) Eurocarparts/carparts4less are around £60 per side and I can only imagine main dealer prices are considerably more.

Buy proper aftermarket branded parts such as FEBI and avoid counterfeit eBay parts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price difference between the parts on ebay and even the febi aftermarket parts is crazy. I was just hoping someone had found a good balance of price and quality.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The price difference between the parts on ebay and even the febi aftermarket parts is crazy. I was just hoping someone had found a good balance of price and quality.
BuyCarPartsdotcodotuk have plenty of choice with goid brands around £80. What's not to like?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is best to fit a pair as the rubbers soften with age and allow the wheel to move around more with continuously varying dynamic loads. When I bought my car (11 plate Leaf 24) the wheels were toed out 1 degree which my local ATS reset. That was proabably due to wear as after fitting the new parts they were toed in. If you only do one the car will suffer torque steer and pull when braking.
I bought these in January. They are cheap because they are common to other vehicles. Before fitting I checked them back to back and against the old ones. As near as I could tell they were dimensionally identical.
I had a look at a youtube video then my brother and I fitted them in a morning. I had the tracking set the next day.
Nine months on no problems, paint on arms is as new and the car drives perfectly.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Spend a bit more, or you'll be doing the job again shortly. Lessons learned from repairing cars for 15 years.

The TRW ones here are what i would buy. TRW are a large reputably company that manufacturer this sort of thing for the likes of Nissan. All the original arms on my BMW were made by TRW for instance. They're a little more expensive, but not that much, and when you consider the time taken to install, potential tyre damage from the cheap arms failing prematurely (been there) and the cost of the wheel alignment you need to do afterwards, its really a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
To be honest if the genuine nissan one has lasted 8yrs then thats all id be fitting... They cost more but plainly last the course.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
To be honest if the genuine nissan one has lasted 8yrs then thats all id be fitting... They cost more but plainly last the course.
Well my point was companies like Nissan dont make control arms. They buy them from someone like TRW or Lemforder. So instead of paying the stealership tax, you can save a lot of money by purchasing the same part from the OEM that actually makes them in the first place.
I bought M3 arms for my BMW from autodoc. TRW branded, you could even see where they had buffed off the BMW M/// logo (as they're not allowed to sell them with the BMW branding on). They were about 1/3rd the price that the BMW dealership charges for the same part.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The TRW ones are looking favourable, thanks for the recommendation. As you say, it's a job I only want to do once, especially when factoring in wheel alignment etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Used Autodoc a few times and they do seem legit and have keen prices. The delivery can be a little tardy.
So many fakes on ebay unless you deal with a long established outfit :(

·
Registered
44 Posts

Try the dealers. Sometimes their prices are the lowest. I bought two quarts of Nissan S ATF including tax for less than I found anywhere on the web.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts