Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took one of the wheels off a few weeks ago for some maintenance. I torqued up the nuts to 115NM (using my own torque wrench). However, I've just noticed that one of the wheel nuts has fallen off. Not sure where or when it happened but sometime after my maintenance. Luckily it's not the locking wheel nut, it's just the normal non-locking one.

Does anyone know where I can get one for a good price?

On a related note: I regularly take off my wheels (with the usual summer/winter wheel switch) and I always use 115NM setting and often let the torque wrench click twice. Is 115NM enough torque? (this is assuming my torque wrench isn't out of calibration)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Scrapyard ! You probably won't find a Leaf there but plenty of other cars use same size nuts. In particular Juke ones are identical, Qashqai same thread but slightly longer. Even a Sunny uses same nuts.

24/30 models :-
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Torque: 112 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.25
– Trim Production: [2013 .. 2017]

but still same for current ones
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Torque: 112 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.25
– Trim Production: [2018 .. 2020]

Have a look at Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD to see what any car you manage to find would have. OR - & even easier - take one of yours along to a scrapyard and ask guy at counter if he's got one similar.

HTH

Reactions: technoev

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I took one of the wheels off a few weeks ago for some maintenance. I torqued up the nuts to 115NM (using my own torque wrench). However, I've just noticed that one of the wheel nuts has fallen off. Not sure where or when it happened but sometime after my maintenance. Luckily it's not the locking wheel nut, it's just the normal non-locking one.

Does anyone know where I can get one for a good price?

On a related note: I regularly take off my wheels (with the usual summer/winter wheel switch) and I always use 115NM setting and often let the torque wrench click twice. Is 115NM enough torque? (this is assuming my torque wrench isn't out of calibration)
One needs to use good technique not just trust the torque wrench.
For example, nip up all the nuts with the wheel off the ground so that the wheel is seated on the hub, follow a opposite pattern for tightening, torque around all the nuts twice, adjust the torque value depending on lubricant used etc. Front wheel nuts need to be tighter in any case due to torque reversals ( acceleration and braking).

New or replacement nuts can be purchased from buycarpartsdotcodotuk

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,422 Posts
And don't forget to check their tightness again after you have driven a few miles. Sometimes everything appears to seat properly but hasn't and moves slightly in use leaving the nuts loose.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If anyone can determine whether they're the same size as a Zoe's... Then I've got a spare you can have.
Correct thread and length :-
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts
– Torque: 105 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.5
– Trim Production: [2017 .. 2019] (I didn't check all possible years)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've read that the head is 21mm rather the 17 of the Zoe. I know the Zoe is 17 because that's the socket on the wheel wrench... Can't remember what size I used on my Leaf! Sorry.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rang the one and only car scrap yard near me and they didn't have any Nissan vehicle. Didn't fancy travelling tens of miles to go to one further afield that might have one so contacted the local Nissan dealer who said a replacement nut was £4.50 (ish). A steep price but it was the quickest and easiest option. When I turned up, the guy from the parts department shoved the wheel nut in my hand and said, don't worry about the payment. Overall, I've not been too impressed with Nissan's service but this is one of the positive moments that goes against that. Anyway, all sorted without having to get my wallet out so not bad. I've now double checked the torque on all the wheels and they seem to be all at the right amount. I'll make sure I'll double check the tightness after a short drive after each time I take a wheel off.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read that the head is 21mm rather the 17 of the Zoe. I know the Zoe is 17 because that's the socket on the wheel wrench... Can't remember what size I used on my Leaf! Sorry.
I can confirm the Leaf does have a 21mm wheel nut head. Thank you kindly for the offer of the spare nut but I didn't need it in the end. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Been fixing my own cars for more than 30 years and never once used a torque wrench for wheel nuts / studs. Have always used a smear of grease on the threads and a cross wheel brace .

Tighten them up firm using both hands and a medium grunt ;) Honestly never had a single issue doing it that way.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been fixing my own cars for more than 30 years and never once used a torque wrench for wheel nuts / studs. Have always used a smear of grease on the threads and a cross wheel brace .

Tighten them up firm using both hands and a medium grunt ;) Honestly never had a single issue doing it that way.
If your guess work is good then that's fine but not everyone's guess is as good. The torque wrench takes the guess work out. It's also not too expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.