Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the ominous sound of a stone pinging off my windscreen a couple of weeks ago and sure enough there is now an ever lengthening crack working its way up the screen....
National Windscreens can't give a timescale for getting hold of a replacement as they need to be ordered from Europe via a main dealer.
Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
5 weeks for a rear bumper inner beam!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Asked my neighbour windscreen replacement shop just for fun and it was the same price as a regular Vauxhall for the windshield and to change it. He needs to order from Pilkington I think but they had in stock or what he said and the price was not anything horrible. Would arrive in less than a week. Try a shop that sells Pilkington because it seems they carry the windshields.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,688 Posts
You need the genuine windscreen else, AFAIU, your key and TPMS will stop working. I think it also needs a particular way to wire it up correctly on fitting.

I'd be asking a suitable dealer and then directing the insurance company to liaise with them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Went out this morning to clear some snow from the front and thought I'd leave the car running (on petrol) while I did it,. to clear the windows. Snow was pretty thick on the car.

So I turned the fans and heating to highest and got on with clearing. By the time I'd finished the car was still pretty snowy, but defrosting from underneath, but on clearing some of the snow with a scraper I find a large crack across the screen, about eye level.

I've turned it all off again as I don't want to crack any more windows. I suspect it was the 30 degrees hitting the minus temperature screen which did it. I wish I'd thought it through as I don't even intend going out in it today.

@amaferanga did your Autoglass one work out OK - do your keys work OK and your TPMS?

@RobinH how long did your replacement take and were there any issues?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
There's a recently written-off Volt going to Copart in Bedford. Might be worth seeing if you can get that one, if it's in decent nick maybe?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks but I wouldn't know where to start!

My Co-op insurance covers it with £50 excess. But before I book it I'll wait for responses from the other folks here who have had experience and make sure I don't need to insist on a genuine part.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
National Windscreens did mine and sourced from a Vauxhall dealer (even though it's a Volt).
It took 3 weeks to come and they fitted while I waited. No issues with key or TPMS. I suspect it might have been quicker if they hadn't ordered from a non-Ampera dealer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also heard from Amaferanga who wasn't aware of any problems with his Autoglass windscreen but he didn't keep the car long after that.

So I will call the insurers tomorrow and try to get the windscreen company to go somewhere like Bellingers for the part, to reduce time lag.

Thanks all

·
Registered
388 Posts
Called Autoglass yesterday, they couldn't advise a time then (as they would have been able to for an "ordinary" car but today have come back with next Monday appointment. (As I am away I have deferred it by a week).

Fingers crossed it all goes OK etc...

·
Macman
18 Posts
Hi, Mine cracked right across the screen with the first real frosty morning we had, about minus 3, rang insurance who contacted autoglass and new screen fitted the next morning, no issues with any electrical connections etc, cost 75£ excess.

·
Spiro Tech, Lecturer.
24 Posts
Hi my Chevy volt developed the cracked windscreen and had to be replaced.
thankfully a phone call to the insurance company,
and was advised to contact AutoWindscreens, and they arranged a home visit to replace my glass took about 45mins and a coffee all done all working fine excellent job thank you AutoWindscreen
3DD877BC-B2EC-4139-BCCA-7C443F6F61DF.jpeg 972A8AE6-3003-4843-9F2C-B9AFB2E642BB.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts