Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So I found this 2011 Leaf car with DC fast charging is completely dead and AC charging only works after several attempts of charging. Eventually AC charging died too. Diving into the on board charger's circuit, I found out that two capacitors are exploded inside. Since there was no success after replacing these, I replaced the entire on board charger. Still charging doesn't work and through OBD, I'm getting a can communication circuit error DTC.

My question is, is there a serial number kind of thing for the on board charger that we need to reprogram into the VCM somehow, so that the VCM will detect the OBC as a valid module?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm pretty sure the OBC is coded, so the VCM will need reprogramming. @Mike Schooling will be able to confirm, and I'm sure his company Indra would be happy to do it for you.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello all,
So I found this 2011 Leaf car with DC fast charging is completely dead and AC charging only works after several attempts of charging. Eventually AC charging died too. Diving into the on board charger's circuit, I found out that two capacitors are exploded inside. Since there was no success after replacing these, I replaced the entire on board charger. Still charging doesn't work and through OBD, I'm getting a can communication circuit error DTC.

My question is, is there a serial number kind of thing for the on board charger that we need to reprogram into the VCM somehow, so that the VCM will detect the OBC as a valid module?
A canbus error would probably point to one of more modules on the bus holding either canH or canL at the wrong level. I doubt a coding error would show up as a can circuit error...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@HughF @roger davis thanks for the help. I already contacted him.
@HughF but the vehicle goes in to the driving mode without a problem. If a module holds canH or canL at a wrong level, the whole EV CAN is inoperable right?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
@HughF @roger davis thanks for the help. I already contacted him.
@HughF but the vehicle goes in to the driving mode without a problem. If a module holds canH or canL at a wrong level, the whole EV CAN is inoperable right?
if it goes into drive and works OK apart from the charging then as you say, the vehicle canbus is OK

·
Registered
430 Posts
I looked into replacing my 3.3kw charger for a 6.6kw charger, i know some owners have done this job, there was no programming to be done, the car works fine with it, so in my opinion, theres something else wrong, as from what ive researched, the chargers can be swapped out with no problems.

This was for defo on the gen2 leaf, not sure on the gen1 sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts