Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few days my Ampera 3 pin home charger has started playing up. The green light stays on but the red light flashes every 4-5 seconds and the orange light on the dash doesn’t come on. It’s a 2013 model which I have had for 4 years. Has anyone else had a problem?
I know the charger hasn’t got wet or been dropped. Everything looks fine. Is it repairable? Where is the best place to get a replacement?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The black ones can be unscrewed apparently (torx?) and then checked. I don't know who would repair though. Its worth checking the car is charging using another or a wall box / public destination charger. Leaf and Mitsubish chargers will work (type 1)

Its a standard 10A type 1 unit, these days Screwfix stock them 5m type 1

If you have the MY13 car with the power setting (6 or 10A) on the info display then this should be controllable. on a MY12 car it will be fixed at 10A

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
In the last few days my Ampera 3 pin home charger has started playing up. The green light stays on but the red light flashes every 4-5 seconds and the orange light on the dash doesn’t come on. It’s a 2013 model which I have had for 4 years. Has anyone else had a problem?
I know the charger hasn’t got wet or been dropped. Everything looks fine. Is it repairable? Where is the best place to get a replacement?

Thanks in advance
EV Connectors do them too, bit more expensive than the Screwfix one though:

EV One Stop have a cheaper unit for sale:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The EvConnectors one is well made, and the shirt circuit protection works. You can set it to 6,8,10, or 13A, all of which I've used on a well setup 13A socket. Expect the relay used as contactor to start degrading after 4 years heavy use, but this can be replaced easily.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was faulty when I bought the car , I did pick up a black one later on eBay but the best priced and rugged unit I got was a Nissan Leaf three pin , they sell on eBay. You want one with a white plug as the black plug is a type 2 plug for the newer leaf , they go for between 100 and 200 quid , I used mine for 7 months continuously while I got my smart meter fitted and then a charging point. If you are lucky they come with a Nissan Leaf bag to store the cable , highly recommended if you are only going to charge at 10a , and yes I did use an extension cable , one of 30m living in a flat and more recently 10m or so to get it out of my garage the leaf does have a slightly oversized plug that may struggle in a standard waterproof housing

·
Registered
245 Posts
There are a few original Voltec chargers around gathering dust in dealer parts stores. I bought one on eBay recently so it is worth checking this source. The link below shows one that is currently on offer albeit rather expensive.
Voltec Charger

The part number/description that you are looking for is "23106562/Battery Cable".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. looks like a new charger is needed. Currently searching. Would be interested in repair of original, if anyone has more info. Don't like being beaten.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The EvConnectors one is well made, and the shirt circuit protection works. You can set it to 6,8,10, or 13A, all of which I've used on a well setup 13A socket. Expect the relay used as contactor to start degrading after 4 years heavy use, but this can be replaced easily.
I would be really interested to know of the easy way of replacing the relay which you suggest may have degraded?
Thanks in advance of anymore information.:)(y)(y)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would be really interested to know of the easy way of replacing the relay which you suggest may have degraded?
Thanks in advance of anymore information.:)(y)(y)
Do you know anyone nearby with an Ampera or Gen. 1 Nissan Leaf charger that definitely works? You could try this to eliminate the possibility of the fault being on the car or at your socket. Once you are certain that the charger is at fault you can attack it with your tools. :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Malcolm, I'm away from at home, will post details of EvConnectors repair later this week. But the circuit is v probably totally different to what's inside a Volt charger.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The portable chargers are well made, clipper Creek was the OEM, but I doubt there is a circuit diagram anywhere that would help with repair.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts

Thanks in advance
Mine stopped working a few years ago, is a black leaded one but has welded seams.

I cut the seams open gently and managed to prise it apart to find it looking ok inside so I tried it out when still open. Bloody thing worked so I put it back together using Gorilla Glue and it hasn't failed since! (y)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
EVOneStop customer service has many poor reports on this website. Think carefully about purchasing heir products in case you subsequently need their post purchase support.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK this is an update on my charging issue. Today I have managed to get use of another charger with a type 1 connector and when it plugged in it tripped the house RCD. So my problem is not with the charger, but with the vehicle.
WHERE DO I START? For various reasons I have lost confidence with my not so local Ampera service centre, so is there anyone in the SW of England that is good at tracking the fault. Is there anything I can look at myself??
Thanks in advance.
:unsure::unsure::)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This is sounding very like the problem I had; car was about 4 years old, suddenly failed to charge on my Mainpine-controlled wall charger. So I tried my EvConnectors EVSE (had scrapped the old GM charger, before I'd realised they'd have given me a new one! Duh...), and it tripped that one out as well. So it was a trip to Bellingers on petrol & ask them to fix it under wty plz, which they did. Moisture had got into the charging socket, and caused an internal short, in my case from the 250V to the CP low-voltage signal line.
Apparently this is a well known thing to have happened. And it's why I clip a plastic sheet over the charge plug when I charge in wet weather, and always dry the inside of the socket before closing the door.

My Mainpine controller module was fried, £70 for a replacement, but the EvConnectors had protected itself & just needed a button-press reset. So I'm well impressed with that granny charger, even if the relays do wear out finally & need swapping out.

I think you have a claim for repair under wty, as it's clearly a High Voltage issue. Hopefully you're under 100k miles still!

I don't think there's anything you can do yourself at this stage. Dealer job imho.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Talk to Bellingers who are in the Oxford area, many excellent reports of their Volt/Ampera service team.

If the car is tripping the house then it should also cause problems on public posts or a wall box.

If it can be pinned to the car and provided its under 8 years / 100,000 miles then it ought to be covered by the Voltec warranty

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Bellingers... give them a call. How 'south-west' are you?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts