Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I took delivery of my Zoe at the tail end of May and I absolutely love it. One thing that does get on my nerves is the fact that every light bar the dlr's and the tail lights are filament bulbs. Has anyone replaced their indicators and brake bulbs with LED's? I've seen Osram offer some led brake lights and indicators but I don't want to be fitting them if they're not legal. On the subject of fitting them, how on earth do I change the rear lights and wing mirror bulbs?
Lastly I have noticed the headlights are a bit weak. It's annoying because my wife has just bought a Captur Dynamique S Nav which comes with LED headlights, why on earth didn't they fit them to the Zoe? Id love to think that someone has made a full light unit with LED headlights and indicators incorporated which could just be retrofitted. Am I far away in that thinking? Or would I be better just getting something a little more mundane? I have had LED bulbs before in my Ford Explorer but the light spread was horrendous.
Any suggestions will be greatly received and whilst I'm aware that the Zoe is a more budget EV I'm not being unreasonable to think that LED's should have been standard equipment.

·
Registered
453 Posts
There's a running thread on this issue (LED bulbs on a Zoe - pros and cons) as well as earlier ones. I started the later thread as I had similar questions to you and have been experimenting to get some answers. I will update the thread if and when I get the chance to remove and test every bulb.

The side lights are LED. The rest are all filament, I guess because the Zoe is an approx 2012 design. To use LEDs they have to be an integral part of the light fitting and approved as part of it. An unfortunate side effect seems to be that replacement fittings can then very expensive, so be careful what you wish for! No point repeating all the existing thread here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
@yoh-there: 'Side lights' in (my variant of) English covers both the front small lights and rear tail lights - i.e. front side lights and rear side lights. Perhaps better referred to as parking lights. Of course, you are correct and all these are LED.

The Zoe uses its front side lights as driving lights, leaving them on but the tail lights off. I don't think they are really bright enough to be daytime driving lights - do they pass the Norwegian / Swedish daytime driving light requirements?

To help the Dutch with our random English spelling, we have 'brakes' on cars (and tea 'breaks').

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,390 Posts
Brakes, sorry, that was simple stupidity. Sometimes my English breaks ;-) Side lights for what is "normal on at the tail end at night" is new to me, thanks.

I would think the front LED's do not pass in Scandinavia as daylight headlights and said headlights are probably wired "always on" as in most Nordic ICE cars? Or has that practice been abandoned with more modern lighting? Nordic ZOEs have a somewhat different heater system anyway, so they are already different builds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts