Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I appreciate this is a topic discussed before but the search bar isn't bringing up the answer to my question

2014 Leaf Acenta 24kwh

1: If you have OVMS plugged into obd2, what does unplugging the car's TCU lose you access to? Is it just Nissan's own api?

2: assuming that TCU functionality can now be done through the OVMS, can the head unit be swapped out for either:

A, a 2018 head unit with Android Auto
B, an aftermarket unit that will run Android Auto/Android

3: with either option can the car specific functionality be kept such as reversing camera?

I appreciate I could just use my phone or repurpose a tablet but I despise the nissan interface and 2g connectivity

If I can get OVMS to handle the car tech, and a head unit to run Android Auto on it (or run Android itself), that would be perfect

If not, I guess I'd just have to repurpose a tablet, install OVMS/AA on that and run it that way

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if doesn't answer my question about ovms though

It implies you'd lose the functionality, but im guessing ovms would bring it back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K thank you, I did give it a read but I couldn't find the information, I'll have another look later, thanks

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Hi

I appreciate this is a topic discussed before but the search bar isn't bringing up the answer to my question

2014 Leaf Acenta 24kwh

1: If you have OVMS plugged into obd2, what does unplugging the car's TCU lose you access to? Is it just Nissan's own api?
Have a look on this page:

2: assuming that TCU functionality can now be done through the OVMS, can the head unit be swapped out for either:

A, a 2018 head unit with Android Auto
B, an aftermarket unit that will run Android Auto/Android

3: with either option can the car specific functionality be kept such as reversing camera?

I appreciate I could just use my phone or repurpose a tablet but I despise the nissan interface and 2g connectivity

If I can get OVMS to handle the car tech, and a head unit to run Android Auto on it (or run Android itself), that would be perfect

If not, I guess I'd just have to repurpose a tablet, install OVMS/AA on that and run it that way

Thanks in advance
You can't really swap out the head unit in a Nissan Leaf as you'll disable large parts of the functionality of the car, including the ability to adjust the climate control, set charging and climate control timers, reversing camera etc... OVMS doesn't replicate any functionality of the head unit.

OVMS only replaces the functionality of the TCU - eg remote control via the Nissan app.

If your reason for looking at OVMS is to find a way to replace the head unit with a generic Android one then I'd say forget it, as a head unit swap on a Nissan Leaf isn't feasible because it's not just a radio, its a control system for the entire car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look on this page:

You can't really swap out the head unit in a Nissan Leaf as you'll disable large parts of the functionality of the car, including the ability to adjust the climate control, set charging and climate control timers, reversing camera etc... OVMS doesn't replicate any functionality of the head unit.

OVMS only replaces the functionality of the TCU - eg remote control via the Nissan app.

If your reason for looking at OVMS is to find a way to replace the head unit with a generic Android one then I'd say forget it, as a head unit swap on a Nissan Leaf isn't feasible because it's not just a radio, its a control system for the entire car.
Thanks Simon that answered my question!

Looks like I'll just have to make do!

Thanks again

·
Registered
425 Posts
@Chad the Emo - I looked into this when I first bought my car as I have swapped out numerous head units in my previous cars. I decided in the case of the Leaf it was just too hard, as with the Tekna in particular you have 4 cameras, tyre monitoring, the battery management and charging systems, climate control and infotainment system all in the head unit.

I read somewhere on here it is a very basic Clarion unit running a customized version of Windows CE, heavily modified and tailored to the EV by Nissan.

What I opted for in the end to obtain all the Android goodies I am used to was to buy a cheapie 8" phablet and mounted it above the existing head unit on a silicon mat. I used a bean-bag mount from an old Garmin sat-nav and it doesn't move even with the most violent cornering. I just ensured the tablet I bought has a decent GPS built-in. That's the most important bit for me. I have an unlimited data contract on my mobile from EE (not the cheapest but the best UK wide coverage) which I use as a hotspot in the car, so seamless permanent 4g internet access is normal. I have it set up to connect via bluetooth to my OBD2 dongle automatically every time I start the car with leafspy autostarting on the display.

IMG_20200829_115453_8.jpg IMG_20200829_115517_7.jpg IMG_20200829_115615_9.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Barfly that's a very detailed answer. Looks like I'll be sticking with phones or phablet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts