Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We reported our camera to the dealer and refused to accept the car back until it was working properly. They said it was working properly when clearly it is quite unusable! I have a reversing camera on the Leaf and that is fine so I know it can be done but the one on the Ampera, like so many other things unfortunately, just isn't up to the standard you would expect from a £30k car.. or any car for that matter! Regardless of how much the car costs you expect the things on to work well enough to use. The camera isn't.

I had to accept the car back or just leave it there as they said there was nothing wrong :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Compared to my last car, I find the Amperas reversing camera pretty dreadful. The image seems out of focus and washed out.

Browsing the Chevvy Volt forum, I found this thread which seems to suggest its a fairly simple matter to replace the camera.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-A-Backup-Camera-To-Your-OEM-Radio-W-Pictures

Just wondered if anyone has tried this on an Ampera? There are lots of cameras available on eBay, but without knowing the spec of the original camera it's difficult to say if they would be any better.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
My reversing camera has started intermittently picking up interference and showing horizontal stripes through the display, not all the time though. On one occasion the left half of the screen was fine but the right half was all interference. Fortunately I have a recording on my phone to show the dealership when it goes back in case it comes back with the stock answer 'No Fault Found'.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The camera works fine on my Ampera with a nice bright clear image as long as you keep the lens clean.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, perhaps that is strong evidence that they can work properly.

@Geoff Perhaps you and I could meet up one evening so I can video yours and mine for comparison? Perhaps my dealer might take more notice if I can prove that it can work properly!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like yours isn't much better than mine Geoff!

When you are down this way give us a shout. Be great to meet up regardless of cameras :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I personally have never got on with reversing cameras, had one on my XF prior to the Volt and that wasn't much better, they get covered in dirt too quickly and useless then. Give me good old ultrasonics any day.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
View attachment 400 Nightime photo taken tonight. Paul we may be in cornwall in a few weeks time unless you are coming this way.
OH - just noticed....you have guide lines on your reversing display. I don't on mine. You got them Paul?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well I looked through the config menus on the display earlier before I posted and I can't find any config option relating to them. I also tried pressing 'Menu' while in reverse but I only see brightness and contrast controls. I've just looked in the manual , and found the following:
To turn the guidelines on or off:

1. Shift into P.

2. Press the CONFIG button on the instrument panel.

3. Select Display.
4. Select Guiding lines. If a

checkmark appears next to Guiding lines, guidelines will appear.

HOWEVER, my car does NOT have that option, it only has 'Camera' and 'Symbols'. Ummm.....?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We reported our camera to the dealer and refused to accept the car back until it was working properly. They said it was working properly when clearly it is quite unusable! I have a reversing camera on the Leaf and that is fine so I know it can be done but the one on the Ampera, like so many other things unfortunately, just isn't up to the standard you would expect from a £30k car.. or any car for that matter! Regardless of how much the car costs you expect the things on to work well enough to use. The camera isn't.

I had to accept the car back or just leave it there as they said there was nothing wrong :(
At least in the US the Volt reversing camera is replaceable under warranty. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12891-Rear-View-Camera-Issues/page6

The guidelines are indeed SatNav only. Also I believe the ability to adjust brightness and contrast on the reversing camera is Non-SatNav only.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts