Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Reputable solar panel suppliers, where to find?

958 views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  h8ten 
#1 ·
Our houses are odd. They're "eco houses" and don't have traditional roofs or indeed any loft space (well, just enough to stuff a cat, not swing one).

One my neighbours, years ago, tried to find solar panels and came up with nothing due to the nature of the roof.

I've tried searching for a good installer, but all the top results seem to be paid for affiliates or salesmen.

Any suggestions? In the Milton Keynes area if possible.

#4 ·
Really will have to follow this up. Switched to ecotricity recently so have "green" fuel, but would rather make our own into the bargain. It's investing the money in the first place that seems a painful at the moment!

Also wondering if there's a way to pre-test if we'd be good for small (roof/building mounted) wind generation, as we have a fairly exposed/high spot relatively speaking for Milton Keynes.

#5 ·
Right, keep thinking about this with a slight sense of doom.

Our house faces 140º South East, but is longer than wide, with a partly flat roof, a bit like this, but with the angle FAR less extreme _/

The angled portion of the roof faces 50º North East, this is the only face of the roof (which is also covered in a PCV membrane, so maybe not easy to install on) where I think we could lay Solar PV panels. I'm assuming facing North East is far from ideal, in fact, pretty much pointless?!

The flat roof part is mostly occupied by a skylight, but also we have a roof pod aka "eco hat" that faces the opposite direction, IE 230º South West.

This ecohat currently houses an HVAC/air filter system and a (rather poor performing) solar hot water system. The panels seem ideally situated, but they cover a small area, maybe 6' by 6' or so (perhaps bigger, been a while since I got up close and personal). So even though I would consider swapping out for solar PV, I doubt that's big enough for a decent array.

So all that considered, would it be a waste to even consider solar PV on our property?

#7 ·
I really am feeling like it's approaching "move or improve" time, we're 5.5 years in at our "eco home", and while it has many VERY good features, it's just not "eco" enough, and quite hard to improve in terms of solar/wind benefits. Could do with someone giving it a proper look over and honest quotations.

#8 ·
Hi Paul,

I would be happy to give your site a once over and provide some straight forward advice. If you fill in a form here I can start by looking at the aspect and viability of the existing roof (assuming the map of your area is up-to-date). Your thermal system has a reasonable aperture area so should be producing a worthwhile contribution. It would be worth looking at the condition and programming cycle of this too.

Thomas

#14 ·
We may also add some value alongside Thomas Newby. We manufacture our own bespoke brackets/frames for projects that fall outside the realm of traditional roofs. All our high quality galvanised steel or powder coated to customers requirements and made in the UK. Happy to help work alongside Thomas Newby if it poses to be suitable.

#17 ·
Yes I can recommend the Phoenix works too, I am in Oxfordshire and they travelled down to me and installed it all on possibly the 2 hottest days we have ever had, poor chaps were melting! they did a great job from quote to handover and as we are only low mileage drivers in our Leaf its 100% solar powered.

Here is the video of my install and why I went for the system.

#18 ·
Right, I'll try and send these off, but here's an example of why there seems to be a "challenge" (and not just the direction of the angled rood section).

Some photos I took when I cleaned the roof last year, before and after.

After...

That ALL happened because ONE bird poo just wouldn't self-wash from the skylight... :oops: o_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.