Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can anyone recommend a make / model of home charger and a company to install it. I want a 7.4kW tethered unit to be used with a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus. I don't know if my installation would be categorised as non-standard. I'll need about 25m of cable to get from my consumer unit to where my charging point will need to located on the garage wall. This is outside the range of my wi-fi signal from my router. I have tested a wi-fi powerline adaptor plugged into a mains socket in the garage to confirm that I can extend the wi-fi to the garage. 4.5metres of the cable will need to be buried under the patio. I'm happy to dig a trench myself, if someone can tell me how deep it needs to be and any other requirements. The property was built in 2003, and is the Northamptonshire area. Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Would you be happy with a dumb charger? No internet connectivity.
The Tesla 3 can do all the timing and exporting from the car so no need for a smart charger IMHO.

Given you have a non-standard installation and have expressed an ability to dig trenches, I would be inclined to do a self install and get any local spark to do final inspection and condition test. If you are self funding you can choose yourself the EVSE and prioritise looks, reliability, low cost, whatever is your priority. You will have to send a form off to your DNO once its all installed, no big deal there.

Best regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought chargers need to be "smart" these days in order to be eligible for the OLEV grant. I didn't realise DIY was even an option. These days you can't even put in wall socket without being certified to BS7671 18th edition. I assume that you are only suggesting that I lay the power cable from near the consumer unit to near the charging point. I assume that there are regulations governing types of cable to be used (wire cross section, number of cores, standard of armouring) along with requirements for routing eg: can an armoured cable be just buried in the ground. Does it need to be encased in some for of conduit, at what depth, etc. I'm a mechanical engineer with no experience of mains electrical wiring. "I only know some of what I don't know" to misquote Donald Rumsfeld.

I'm still interested in the approved installer option.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Most electrical engineering consists of solving mechanical engineering problems so I certainly would not doubt your own abilities. Buy a copy (from ebay) of the wiring regulations. Ask some questions here and you will end up doing a better job than any installer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AndyS - Elecology can help you out and advise which parts of the install you could do and which parts are best left to a qualified electrician. Loads of chargers on offer too (some of which are smart but don't need a wifi connection).

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
AndyS - Elecology can help you out and advise which parts of the install you could do and which parts are best left to a qualified electrician. Loads of chargers on offer too (some of which are smart but don't need a wifi connection).
Hi AndyS, that last post just looked like a commercial.

For a domestic installation single phase, suggest you look at 10mm2 SWA cable, the exact specification depends on the earthing.

Suggest you dig a test trench hole, photo same and report back on soil conditions unless you already know. The soil conditions will dictate how deep the trench needs to be, earthing issues etc.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I thought chargers need to be "smart" these days in order to be eligible for the OLEV grant.
They do, but only registered installers can claim that. Even qualified sparks doing DIY for themselves cannot claim it, so you will not be able to for yourself.
There's a widespread view that the OLEV grant has become pointless with it adding features that you may not want, costing the installer a lot for the admin and delayed payment, and having been reduced to £350. It does however buy you a well supported 3 year warranty which a significant number of people have benefited from.
I'd suggest a hybrid approach of doing the groundwork and laying the cable yourself after agreeing what is required with the installer.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The £350 grant will in all likelihood cost you more than £350.

The better EVSE manufacturers will offer a 3 year warranty if you ask for it, out with any grant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Andy
I bought a Andersen A2 charger which I have been very happy with. These guys helped with the install.
Not too far from you. I did a lot of the labour/hole digging under there guidance. would recommend them.
To help with the wifi range issue I also buried a cat5 ethernet cable with the big power cable. this allowed me to physically connect the charger to my router. Bit more work but I thought it worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts