Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a Rolec charger installed for my new e-golf (with grant). I'm non too happy and I can come to that later. My first problem is as to what certification I should have been provided with. I would presume something to do with part P and something relative to the charger installation itself. I wish that I'd read this forum first and installed something myself - I was a professional electronics engineer and could cope with all the necessary!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
You should have been issued with an electrical certificate issued by a certified electrician stating the device and the installation.
I think it has to be registered with various bodies (NICEIC and building control perhaps) before the certificates get issued, so could take a week or two.
The electrician who did my commando socket over a week ago was talking about some of this - I've not had anything back from him yet either; not even the bill.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I wish that I'd read this forum first and installed something myself - I was a professional electronics engineer and could cope with all the necessary!
You couldn't get the grant and you couldn't do the certification.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think it has to be registered with various bodies (NICEIC and building control perhaps) before the certificates get issued, so could take a week or two.
The electrician who did my commando socket over a week ago was talking about some of this - I've not had anything back from him yet either; not even the bill.
Unless Scotland is different from the rest of the UK the electrician shouldn't leave the premises without leaving it with you.
Works the same way as a gas safe certificate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My understanding is that you should get two certificates: a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (issued by the electrician after he's completed the testing), and a Part P certificate (issued by a third party like NICIEC, this might take a while). Theoretically the OLEV grant can't be claimed unless you've been issued with both these certificates - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/customer-guidance-electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme.

You can check whether the work as been registered with the NICIEC (under part P) here: http://www.checkmynotification.com.

I had a PodPoint charger installed in August and I've not received any certification (although I can see my address and installation date on the checkmynotification site).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts