Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any legal beagles out there, under the resale of electricity act it is illegal to resell electricity for profit for any domestic use, hence plugged into a charging post such as cyc is the owner of that post really allowed to charge what they want?

Gary

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I am certainly no legal eagle but I have always thought that the basic reselling rule is that someone reselling for domestic or private use cannot resell at more than the price the reseller paid plus a prorata amount for standing charges.

However, Ofgem have drafted proposals to exclude electricity resale for use in EVs in the Maximum Resale Price requirements which would then allow EV charging companies to set their own pricing.

You can read the consultation details and the responses from all the main players including all the main electricity providers, CYC, The AA, Transport for London etc. This has to be read!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Again, I am not a legal eagle, but I thought the reselling rule was intended to protect tennants against unscrupulous landlords. Providing a charging post in a public place is a commercial service, and subject to the usual rules of competition - ie if the post down the road charges less (and is not already in use) then you are free to move to that one. - Just as if Fred's cafe serves coffee at two thirds the price of Joe's cafe, then who gets the demand? (Location and quality of service may influence customer choice.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Electricity used for electric vehicles is excluded from the act.

Details here in Gov document: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2014/03/mrp_decision.pdf

Specifically page 4 if you want to cut the waffle.

Exclusion
This direction does not apply where electricity supplied
by an authorised supplier is
resold by any person from a charge point for use by an electric motor vehicle.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If charging by the kWh, does the electricity measurement system need to be calibrated to comply with the Sale of Goods Act? (just as domestic meters need to be changed every 15 years or so for re-calibration - or replacement by smart meters!)

The Triple Rapid at Oswestry has not has its measurement system calibrated, as it displays 0.0kWh at the end charging, when my Leaf says it has taken on board many % of charge.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
If charging by the kWh, does the electricity measurement system need to be calibrated to comply with the Sale of Goods Act? (just as domestic meters need to be changed every 15 years or so for re-calibration - or replacement by smart meters!)

The Triple Rapid at Oswestry has not has its measurement system calibrated, as it displays 0.0kWh at the end charging, when my Leaf says it has taken on board many % of charge.
It's a complicated topic which @Mark J Constable could fill in nicely but yes, you need a compliant metering device.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts