Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering what people's thoughts are on the Ampera resale values. I have owned mine now for little over 18 months and have started to look round for my next car..... Now the fun starts..... My Ampera Electron has just under 9000 miles almost all done on electricity (I have only used 7 gallons of petrol) so am averaging 1250 mpg. Trying to look to part ex car is almost impossible, best price is £18000 but have been offered as low as£14000...... Not impressed as paid £34000 cash in 2012. Vauxhall dealership were quoting 60% retained value after 3 years!!!! Anyone else had a similar situation?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have recently got a trade-in quote for our 2012 Ampera and our 2011 Nissan Leaf and the trade-in values stink to be honest but I am not completely surprised.

Buying a new tech car like an EV was always going to be expensive. Confidence is low in the early years on reliability, cost of maintenance and repair, battery life, etc. This combined with the high manufacturer costs in getting new tech to market was always going to mean that in the first few years the cars would have high depreciation.

I was resolved for all that but I certainly didn't expect it to be quite as bad as it is.

I think that until more people buy the cars the used market will fall. If there is no market for the new car then it is likely that the new prices will be heavily discounted and that will push used prices down.

I have predicted that once the used prices get low enough there will be an explosion of EV take-up of 2nd hand vehicles as the possible savings start to be disproportionate to the vehicle costs. This is starting now with the Nissan Leaf but it hasn't started with the Ampera.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
These are the reasons I didn't outright buy. A PCP with guaranteed future hand-back value seemed sensible and I'm still generally pleased I did. The other option was used, and I've already taken the Gen 2 LEAF on one trip I feel was beyond the Gen 1, so I guess it was the right choice for an inexperienced EV buyer.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@Darren Griffin But are they selling at the higher price that is the real test. I suspect that they are not selling, at least not int he numbers you'd expect, and I suspect that is because Ampera owners can't bear to lose so much on their £30+K purchase just a year or two a go.

So, I suggest that we will see trade-in prices at £17-18k and I also suspect that private prices won't be much above that simply because there are not enough buyers out there wanting to buy the Ampera. I have no idea why not though because it is a super car.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Hi all, just wondering what people's thoughts are on the Ampera resale values. I have owned mine now for little over 18 months and have started to look round for my next car..... Now the fun starts..... My Ampera Electron has just under 9000 miles almost all done on electricity (I have only used 7 gallons of petrol) so am averaging 1250 mpg. Trying to look to part ex car is almost impossible, best price is £18000 but have been offered as low as£14000...... Not impressed as paid £34000 cash in 2012. Vauxhall dealership were quoting 60% retained value after 3 years!!!! Anyone else had a similar situation?
Hi David

I think as one of the 'pioneers' in the market, sadly you're going to be the worst 'out of pocket'. Elsewhere on the site we're seeing links to Dealers selling a new 2014 Ampera Postiv for £25K and the Electron for £27K. It's the economics of the industry I'm afraid.

I've been 'in the market' for months - and still haven't my purchase yet - but I've seen prices come down as new entrants join (BMW I-3, Zoe etc..) - the list price is now down by £3K and 'dealers are offering further discounts.

On AutoTrader, there are currently 18 used Amperas for sale, ranging from £19600 upwards....so used prices start just over £20K for cars similar to yours. But looking at other responses to your thread, it looks as though you could sell your car through SpeakEV? I'd buy it myself, but need to buy a new one to get the 100% tax write down through my company...

So come on, anyone want to make David an offer? And David - what do you replace an Ampera with? A Tesla?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi David

I think as one of the 'pioneers' in the market, sadly you're going to be the worst 'out of pocket'. Elsewhere on the site we're seeing links to Dealers selling a new 2014 Ampera Postiv for £25K and the Electron for £27K. It's the economics of the industry I'm afraid.

I've been 'in the market' for months - and still haven't my purchase yet - but I've seen prices come down as new entrants join (BMW I-3, Zoe etc..) - the list price is now down by £3K and 'dealers are offering further discounts.

On AutoTrader, there are currently 18 used Amperas for sale, ranging from £19600 upwards....so used prices start just over £20K for cars similar to yours. But looking at other responses to your thread, it looks as though you could sell your car through SpeakEV? I'd buy it myself, but need to buy a new one to get the 100% tax write down through my company...

So come on, anyone want to make David an offer? And David - what do you replace an Ampera with? A Tesla?
Have been looking at Tesla model S, am down in London next month for a test drive but after this not sure now. Am trying to get £20k for Ampera then see what deal if any available for next car.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts