Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a student and was wondering if any former or current Ecotricity customers would mind answering a few questions for me. I could share my final dissertation for anyone who participated and is interested?

1. Do you receive any emails, offers, junk mail and/or gifts being an Ecotricity customer? If so what?
2. What are some issue you have with Ecotricity charging stations?
3. What's great about using Ecotricity charging stations?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
1. Do you receive any emails, offers, junk mail and/or gifts being an Ecotricity customer? If so what?
A very small quantity of self-promotion emails. No third-party advertising at present.

Lack of reliability (some people complain specifically about "the app", "lack of out-of-hours support telephone" etc. but those are really just the specific cases of the system as a whole not being highly reliable).

In the past, congestion/queueing was an issue. Possibly it still is at some locations; however demand is significantly reduced since tariffs were introduced.

Where they are located - they have exclusive contracts in many of the key places where you would want to charge (motorway service areas).

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
906 Posts
Not really: the occasional update or newsletter.

I am one of the app-averse. Since app initiation came in, I don't think I have once had a completely straightforward charge session. Up till then, I never had any difficulty. I'm happy to pay - but what a rigmarole! So from 100% satisfied to 100% dissatisfied in one step.

Location, location, location. Whatever people say about Ecotricity their Electric Highway has made long-distance EV journeys possIble. (France, for example, is way behind and just beginning to catch up.) This has undoubtedly stimulated the UK EV market. Well done them - just wish it worked more seamlessly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1: Not after opting-out.

2: Ecotricity charging stations are too unreliable, and therefore my EV is only ever used within the radius from home in which it can complete a round-trip without being recharged. As others have noticed, there are several aspects to this unreliability - poor hardware, poor connectivity, poor payment infrastructure, very long times taken to repair, lack of out-of-hours customer services, no effort made to ensure parking spaces are kept free.

It is clear that, having successfully grabbed land in the charging provider subsidy-landgrab, they are going to hang on and spend the minimum possible on the network until they can sell out to someone with deep pockets.

3: Again, as others have noted, they have a monopoly for non-Tesla drivers on Motorway Service Areas. If you want to drive a long way without fannying around planning a route, you use them. Good national coverage so long as you travel by motorway and don't need CCS.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
1. Opting out was easy and effective.
2. I have never had a problem with 'filling up'.
3. Great is not a word I use for something that does the job, I use satisfactory. . I also use a couple of other providers in those areas where Ecotricity does not operate.

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
Hi, I'm a student and was wondering if any former or current Ecotricity customers would mind answering a few questions for me. I could share my final dissertation for anyone who participated and is interested?

The only emails They sent me were service or tariff updates. When we were an Ecotricity Customer, we had free or reduced cost Electric Highway chargers. THey also took about £40 a year off our bill because we own an Electric Car.

Ecotrcity and Electric Highway are seperate companies with common ownership. Something to keep in mind when you write this up.

Bangor has been off line for weeks because an HGV revered into it. Same thiing happened at SIngling Kettle and it was off-line for over a month.

The app crashes if I switch it out of the foreground. That means I can't use my phone for anything else while the car is charging.

Everything else. -- They allow journies beyound the single charge range of our car.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,632 Posts

Nothing at all except emails reminding me to submit meter readings and inform me my bill is available to view.

Only around 60% have CCS capability.

They allow long distance travel without having to leave the motorway to search out chargers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts