Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello eNV200 owners,

Would anyone fancy getting involved with a research study with Ford and help them shape their future electric vans like the e-Transit?

It's a paid research exercise with a couple of options, as I understand it - payment is £100 for Zoom calls, and £200 for face-to-face meetings in the Greater London area once it's allowed.

Drop me a message on here if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the organisers, as I have nothing to do with it specifically other than offering to put the word out to people who might be interested.

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Richard,

I take it they are looking for individuals/firms running electric vans commercially?

I kept a log of monthly charging costs and mileage to work out our saving but obviously last year messed up the averages somewhat!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do hope Ford will develop their vans for the needs of real world van drivers and not the 'last mile' rubbish the likes of Mercedes are pushing.

What we need are real world 150 mile range with half ton load in winter with heating etc on , and mixed town/60mph driving.

At the same price as a diesel van cos they are already cheaper to make and the dealers can make a killing doing 'services' (£250 for filling screen wash whilst the laptop checks battery health and they have a cuppa)

Our ENV200's are barely adequate for our needs in winter, mostly fine in summer.

We are making it work but i do spend more time on charge at end of day before i head home than I'd like!

Interested to see whst the outcome of this study would be...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Yes, they're looking for owners of vans at the moment - if you want to contact them, the chap's details are:

Gareth Walters, email address is [email protected]

Their description is:

"When we initially spoke I know you mentioned you had some contacts with E-vans and we’re currently working on a project looking to speak to some owners of various makes/model of E-van. Specifically they would need to be in the Greater London area as it would entail some face to face sessions later in the year (after some initial Zoom sessions) and the venues we’ll be using are in London and Essex.

For taking part in some 2 hour discussions we are offering an incentive of £200 for the face to face element and this will of course only be done when Covid-19 regulations allow. For the Zoom sessions the incentive will be more around the £100 mark. It should be an interesting project and it’s being conducted by the Ford Design Team directly to help them shape their E-van fleets of the future."

I agree, we need to see some proper vans with a decent 150 mile range under all conditions. Good to see British Gas / Centrica ordering thousands of the new e-Vivaros which will help fund the next generation of EV vans. I think the biggest problem is the cost of the battery; to get 150-200 miles of range, you're going to need about a 80kWh battery, and even Tesla are paying at least $100/kWh which is therefore $8000 or £6000, compared to an off-the-shelf diesel engine which probably costs under a grand to make. It's going to be a while before the purchase prices get close, but it'll get there one day!

Have you seen what Cleevely Motors are doing with their eNV200? They're going to be doing an extender for eNV200s including fitting - have a look at "EV James and Kate" on YouTube. They've also just reviewed the Maxus 5 EV which they reckon is really good and has about 150 miles of range. They do about 1000 miles per week in their eNV...

Cheers
Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts