Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Disclaimer: This posting will be on vehicle specific forums for those EV's I'm interested in as part of my research for my next EV

I'm currently driving a 2016 Audi A3 e-tron and with my lease expiring in about 18 months, I'm starting my search for a BEV to replace it, which I plan on buying.
I have a list of BEV's (and a couple of PHEV's) I'm considering (the Bolt EV and Gen2 Volt) and I couldn't think of a better place to get info than from those who have lived with their car over the years.
Some EV's are hard to come by here in Canada (i.e. e-Golf - 12 to 18 mths, Bolt - honestly no idea according to GM, Model 3 - 12 mths).
If I'm going to seamlessly transition from my Audi to some of the EV's on my list, I need to decide pretty soon.
Ultimately, what I need from my next EV is about 200 km. My DD is about 120 km and during winter I know I won't be getting close to the 200 km range. I do have the opportunity to charge close to work, but that station gets pretty busy (we don't have a great infrastructure in Toronto for charging).
Can you please share your real world range in various conditions?
How does your car perform in the cold? Canadian winters in my area can get to below -20 C.
Have anyone experienced any issues (major or minor) that I should be aware of?
How has the cost of maintenance been?
Have you had any recalls? My e-tron had 2 recalls, both were software related.
Anything else you can share with me that could either solidify my purchase or convince me from buying it.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Most of the users of this forum are based in the UK, and they don't sell the Bolt or gen 2 Volt over here. I have a gen 1 Volt though (one of only 120 in the UK), and it's awesome.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Model 3 deliveries have already started in Canada. In 18 months you will be able to get the cheaper version for sure.

Probably all you need to know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.
I didn't know that the Bolt EV wasn't sold in Europe. That's a huge mistake by GM imo. I've driven the Volt (aka Ampera) and know that there's a very loyal following for that car. I do wish it was slightly larger, but that's a personal perference. I'll have to take it for a longer test drive to see how I like it.
The Bolt has great range, it's the interior quality that is my gripe. For almost $50K CDN, it feels low rent.
The TM3 is very impressive, and I think that any quality / reliability issues should be sorted by the time I need to switch. I just can't configure the car on Tesla's Canadian website. So I have no idea what it would cost.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As are you. :)
Thanks for sharing that cah197.
Pricing wise, it looks good. I wouldn't need the extended range, but if the Ont government keeps the EV rebate plan, my rebate would pay for it :D. I'm a firm believer of AWD so I would check that off. AND maybe the Enhanced Auto Pilot.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Here in UK we might get the Hyundai Kona SUV-style car which can have a 60 kWh battery - no idea if that will appear in Canada.

Personally the car closest to my beloved GM Ampera (=Volt Mk1) in shape & style looks to be the Hyundai Ioniq BEV which I like the look & feel of, but so far that's only got a smaller battery of 28 kWh useable, so lots of us are waiting for the next version with hopefully 50 to 60 kWh available. The controls look to be far more conventional, a complete contrast to the TM3's tablet + 1 button approach.

Having 4WD might be very useful to you, so TM3 could be brilliant in that respect. Kona & Ioniq would probably only be 2WD I suspect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts