Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On long trips nothing stresses me more than having to write down 3-4 chargers postcodes "just in case".
  • Chargers are unreliable, often getting errors and refusing to charge
  • Zoe is fussy with many of them too, so there's that too
  • Often chargers are put right at the entrance of buildings/supermarkets so can also be ICED and so on
  • EVs parked on them not charging
  • etc

I would happily divert my travels by 10-20 miles to the middle of nowhere if I knew i could reserve a charging bay and had my charge there guaranteed
An ev charger network that is just EV Charging station with maybe some vending machines and toilet, so only EV owners really go there (no ICING) and peace of mind that your charger is reserved for you
I know that theres at least 1 network in the US that you can reserve a charger for a time slot.

Is this something that would interest anyone?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
You can do this on a lot of the free DBT rapid chargers in Barcelona, but only for 20 minutes.

It’s sort of works.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Source London offers this to members, reserve up to 40 minutes in advance of arrival. Reserving a charge point costs an additional £2.00, on top of their already expensive rates. Never seen one reserved (they light up a different colour).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Source London offers this to members, reserve up to 40 minutes in advance of arrival. Reserving a charge point costs an additional £2.00, on top of their already expensive rates. Never seen one reserved (they light up a different colour).
i'd pay £2 extra for the "peace of mind", but i guess im the only one cuz i have a car that's fussy with chargers and doesnt have ccs

·
Registered
220 Posts
No just like I wouldn't pay extra to have a guaranteed fill up in a fuel station for our other car which is a diesel. It shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No just like I wouldn't pay extra to have a guaranteed fill up in a fuel station for our other car which is a diesel. It shouldn't be necessary.
I never gone to a fill up station and had to wait 5 hours for a Phev to move away from the 1 pump available. I dont get your comparison. chargers can be in use for several hours without access for you. Its all good in big cities, but if you're going from A to B there are stretches of road where you only have 1 or 2 rapid chargers within 20-30 miles , if one is broken and the 2nd has a bmw parked on it, you're stuffed. that doesnt happen with petrol. there are reasons why sometimes I'd happily pay a premium to reserve a spot

·
Registered
469 Posts
I never gone to a fill up station and had to wait 5 hours for a Phev to move away from the 1 pump available. I dont get your comparison. chargers can be in use for several hours without access for you. Its all good in big cities, but if you're going from A to B there are stretches of road where you only have 1 or 2 rapid chargers within 20-30 miles , if one is broken and the 2nd has a bmw parked on it, you're stuffed. that doesnt happen with petrol. there are reasons why sometimes I'd happily pay a premium to reserve a spot
I think the point is that we shouldn't have to pay for availability, just like ICE drivers don't now. The issue needs fixing through driver education, infrastructure availability and maintenance. Paying extra for this will simply normalise an unacceptable situation.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldnt pay extra for it but smart apps need to be developed to allow time slotting, queueing, ETA and expected time of finishing.
yeah
Another problem is the lack of a standard in the chargers, YES they all need to accept contactless now, but the majorityare still going in places that arent accessible (inside paid car parks, inside park and rides,exclusive to clients, ) and the ones accepting contactless are charging a premium for the priviledge of paying with a debit card, "forcing you" to download their app, get their card, etc to pay the "normal rate"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts