Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the lifetime MPG be reset on the display? As we purchased our car recently used we would like to reset the lifetime MPG to reflect our usage, can this be done. Its only on 46mpg so I'm guessing the previous owner used it mainly on gas.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
A gas Ampera? Ah you mean petrol :) No, I don't think you can reset the lifetime MPG display. 46mpg... makes me think someone bought it who didn't have a charging post and then used it on long motorway runs at 80mph or something? Even after a 350 mile trip this weekend with only two charges, I averaged over 60mpg!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't think you can - it is afterall a "lifetime" measure. I had the same situation as you so I set one of the two user resettable trip counters when I first got it. (you probably know but if you toggle the display using the wheelie switch to A or B trip indicator and then press and hold the middle button it will reset that trip indicator)..

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I've done that with the trip computer but having 250+ mpg on the big screen with 46mpg below seems pointless lol. I really wish someone would pull the software off the 2013 to put on the 2012. Has anyone tried swapping the module that controls the displays with a 2013 to see if that works?

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
Our volt was exactly the same, Chevy told us it was an ex demo model used all over the place and never charged except with the ice. On our first service Chevy reset it for us

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Volt had a lifetime average of 53mpg when I got it a couple of months ago. After a couple of months of running on battery only it's now up to about 89mpg. I tend to think of it as a constant reminder that it can always be better.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I was annoyed when I first got my Ampera as I had to drive it home from Sheffield to Glasgow and that meant a poor start for my LIfetime MPG at 71.

As I can manage my daily commute on battery (I charge at work) I got it up to 250+ after about 6 weeks and it held there right up until my recent 600 mile return trip to Derby (Company head office). That took it back down to 210. It is steadily climbing and back to 216.

It's a ridiculous obsession but it really annoys me now!!

I can understand why you would want it reset @(redacted) :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I completely understand it too - after all, you only really want to see how it relates to YOUR driving, not someone else's and not some artificial situation (e.g picking it up from a distant dealer). It does become an obsession, I agree... I was pleased when I got my lifetime average back up to 131mpg by last Friday, after a number of 80+ mile trips in the first month of ownership. However a slog to Devon and back over Bank Holiday weekend (350 mile round trip with battery charge at each end) has dropped it back to about 118mpg and I feel like I'm playing snakes and ladders, and just dropped down a snake! ;)

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
My Volt's lifetime mpg was reset when they changed the battery, so it certainly is possible, but I don't know if there is a less drastic way for the dealer to reset it.

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
Our volt had the life time range reset at the last service. Did not ask for it to happen it just came back that way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts