Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning my rolec charger didn't charge my car using the timer. I put this down to user error and was able to make use of a rapid to get sufficient charge for the day. On returning home on 12% I plugged in as normal and commenced charging but within a few seconds charging stopped. I unplugged and tried again a couple of times with the same result. Thought I'd check the charger and pressed the Trip button but now I can't seem to reset the charger. I found a product guide that suggests I just need to press both buttons down, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
How old is it? Could easily be the dreaded burnt up RCCB.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Tethered or untethered? Will it not reset even with nothing connected?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tethered. Have disconnected from car before trying to reset.

The rolec unit is getting power. I had a 3 pin socket module installed as an option and granny currently plugged in to this and delivering a charge.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Turn it off at the CU with that switch. Leave it off for a short while. Turn back on.

Press the test button. If that doesn't flick the trip switch on the unit then the unit is now faulty and you need to go and badger the installer to fix it.

I had to do that with mine once when the Soul didn't do the climate timer thing. Switching it off at the mains in the house sorted whatever tizzy it had got itself into.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps. Have tried turning off and on at CU but no difference. Guess it must be faulty:(. Will try again in the morning then call the installer. At least I have a granny to keep me on the road. Car in for Service on Wednesday so will ask Kia to check if any fault reports showing on the car.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Timer charging issues with the Soul in cold weather has been an issue before. Can be a duff 12v or it has the faulty charger unit or it is missing the software update from March last year which is supposed to have tackled the climate and charge timer gremlins.

I'd definitely get the installer out to look at the charge unit.

Normally if the climate timer fails or the charge timer fails the car itself shows an error when you start it up and it doesn't go away until you charge it somewhere else successfully.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Timer charging issues with the Soul in cold weather has been an issue before. Can be a duff 12v or it has the faulty charger unit or it is missing the software update from March last year which is supposed to have tackled the climate and charge timer gremlins.

I'd definitely get the installer out to look at the charge unit.

Normally if the climate timer fails or the charge timer fails the car itself shows an error when you start it up and it doesn't go away until you charge it somewhere else successfully.
But not resetting when not connected doesnt suggest charge timer.
Even water in the plug wouldn't cause this as there's no power to the lead until it receives the signal to close the contactor.
Faulty RCCB which is rare or something else untoward in the EVSE. Im surprised the docket is not protected through the RCCB though.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Thanks chaps. Have tried turning off and on at CU but no difference. Guess it must be faulty:(. Will try again in the morning then call the installer. At least I have a granny to keep me on the road. Car in for Service on Wednesday so will ask Kia to check if any fault reports showing on the car.
Are you sure you're resetting the RCBO properly ?

After it trips (including when pressing the test button) you have to push the reset lever fully down until it clicks then push it right up. If you only try to push it up nothing will happen.

This is in contrast to a standard circuit breaker which can be reset by just pushing it up.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hmm, I'm wondering burnt out RCBO / wiring connection from the two I have had to replace. Any burning smell around the unit?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure you're resetting the RCBO properly ?
No I'm not to be honest. Searched and found the product guide linked in the original post that says to push down and have tried pushing down with reasonable force but there is no 'click'. I feel that if I pushed down much harder I'd break the switches.

I got my mate, who is a qualified electrician but works for a big company offshore, to fit the domestic socket module. Hope that won't have invalidated the warranty which I think runs for 3 years. The charger was installed 18 or 19 months ago.

No burning smell, or obvious sign of failure, but it is dark and raining so I'm not going to take apart to check just now.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hope that won't have invalidated the warranty
Hmm, good luck with that one, they may not notice if it was done with Rolec parts. Trouble is, if they replace the whole unit, you've lost those bits too unless you remove them which would of course eradicate the first concern :rolleyes:

that says to push down and have tried pushing down with reasonable force but there is no 'click'.
Sorry for being thick but there are no stupid questions! RCBOs are set when in the up position aren't they?

Do you have to push it down then put it in the up position or has something changed recently? My first two Rolec RCBOs and my new Garo are set "on" when in the up position?

Surely if it won't stay up then it's got an earth fault?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Do you have to push it down then put it in the up position or has something changed recently? My first two Rolec RCBOs and my new Garo are set "on" when in the up position?
The most recent green RCBO's used in Rolec's have two linked lever arms, when they trip they drop down near the bottom, however to reset them you have to push them down further until they click, then lift them right to the top.

If you only push it up nothing will happen and it will just fall back down again.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The most recent green RCBO's used in Rolec's have two linked lever arms, when they trip they drop down near the bottom, however to reset them you have to push them down further until they click, then lift them right to the top.

If you only push it up nothing will happen and it will just fall back down again.
Ah okay, haven’t had one of those installed. Sounds just as well though maybe!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
But on the other hand, if you only push it down and don't push it up, you won't get another click no matter how hard you press!

This could be OP's problem.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Not patronising but are you sure you are not touching the T test button at all when resetting? That pic in the guide obscured things slightly.
If you take it all the way go then when pushing up it should give a little resistance and then if there's a fault it flicks and has no resistance. Not terribly easy to describe but you get a feel for it when you have done it thousands of times. Haha.
I guess your mate didn't connect the socket off the RCCB. I hope it's protected by an RCD on the supply otherwise it's against the regs.
If the supply comes off an RCD at the mains then as that's not tripping then it would further suggest it's the Rolec one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1959/7639/files/Product_Guide_-_RCBO_Reset.pdf?16861611281640390162 Looks exactly like what I have. Step 2 talks about pushing the button fully down, but judging by the indicator line on the photo it hasn't been pushed down any further. The 13A module only cost me £6.90 as per this posting plus a couple of beers for my mate to fit it. I have 4 sockets in the garage within a couple of metres of the charger anyway and have got the granny plugged in to one of them at the moment.

Have tried resetting while holding down the trip button, and studiously avoiding it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That description suggests to me that the action of pressing the switch down is to reset the RCBO in which case, if it won't click downward, it could be because it is detecting a constant earth fault and refusing to reset itself? Or am I off beam there? Not seen the innards of one of those to know which bit is connected to what.

My guess is when you open it, you'll find a loose or burnt connection. Especially if your leccy mate (and I'm not casting aspersions here :LOL:) has inserted the 13amp cables into the same supply side connectors that the 32amp is inserted into without properly crimping them together.

Those screw down blocks come loose pretty easily when there are multiple stranded wires in them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyone's contributions on this. So I have solved the problem and feel a bit daft but wanted to post in case it helps anyone else. When I opened the box a small amount of water leaked out so it evidently isn't 100% weatherproof, but none of the electrics were wet and I dried all moisture residue with a soft cloth. Any ideas on dealing with water ingress btw? Would taping seals help? Could I leave a sack of silica gel at the bottom?

Anyway, good news is that there are no signs of loose or burnt connections. The RCCD was pointed downwards slightly which prevented me pushing down on the buttons. With the cover removed (or had I pushed the top of the RCCD back with one thumb so it sat flush) I was able to push the button down and reset.

Reassembled and charging at 7kW now. Glad to have had a granny charger to fall back on but wouldn't want to rely on it on a daily basis.

Have included a couple of images in the hope they might be useful to others at some point.

IMG_20190129_115824.jpg

IMG_20190129_115621.jpg
IMG_20190129_115714.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts