Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have searched the forums and found one topic about installation of chargers for large residential car parks but no complete conclusion or solution.

I live in a flat/apartment where we have an underground car park of >100 car park spaces owned by their respective flat. I can see wiring conduit spread through out for lighting on the ceiling of the car park. There are other blocks with their own smaller car parks as well.

What is the best way to approach the freeholder/management company with respect to EV installations. I can't see how the OLEV mobdro kodi grant can or could apply as that's very specific single installation and would not make sense for this scenario. I imagine there is a fixed cost involved in installing some fixed central infrastructure and chargers installed per n spaces to be shared. Some form of payment is required as well.

Has anyone seen or been involved in some project with similar scenario? I would have thought OLEV or City councils would be promoting some of these scenarios as its city center with a high concentration of car ownership.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
My landlord wouldn't pay for my single charger so I cannot imagine the owner of a block of flats be willing to foot the bill unless a big grant was available. Maybe the charging station operators will be willing if they could expect a worthwhile rate per kwh and enough residents wanted a charger. The building owner and management company would probably want to charger the installers, rather than make a contribution.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
The complications of wiring just a few spaces at a time mean that this is unlikely to happen until there's sufficient demand to mean that a system to provide shared infrastructure could be considered. Then you have the question of who should finance it up front when the initial costs need to be met. The OZEV grant is currently only paid for the installation of a charge point at a property when that property has an EV. What you are wanting is someone to pay the equivalent of installing the infrastructure for charge points for each house on a street regardless of whether they have an EV or not. I can't see that happening until there's much higher penetration of EVs in the national fleet to justify it.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
EVs charge at 6A minimum, and if you use a 110V AC supply then this is a 750W trickle charge rate. So it may be possible maybe to use a step-down transformer to halve your voltage, if it's 220V, and maybe you could persuade the Owner to fit suitable wiring for something like this? This would draw 3A at 220V, so cabling should be pretty cheap to fit, and total power usage not huge. 2.5 kW step-down transformers for industrial sites are about £60 in UK, with a Commando outlet that would take a "granny" charger. It's not difficult to create a wall mounted EVSE that's set to run at 6A only.

Maybe you could make one such system as a demo to the Owner. Take something like a Rolec Dumb EVSE, or a broken Podpoint, and fit a Viridian ECU to it. The latest version of this with all the latest safety bits is £185 after VAT is paid. This item does not need an Earth Rod fitting. Allow £40 for the extra Earth Contactor needed. Allow a few pence for the resistor to set the Max Current to 6A. Add the (rather bulky!) step-down transformer, £60, and a mains electricity digital meter. Get someone to put all this in large metal cabinet with the RCBO and the PEN-loss Contactor visible & checkable/testable through the front panel, add a lock on it, so the Owner can come round occasionally and see how much electricity was used, and bill you for it. Then you point out to the owner just how much more desirable his property is, now that it has EV charging available!

750W is only going to add 2 miles per hour of charging, but the cabling costs are tiny for this. And 2 miles per hour is better than nothing at all. But once you've got approval for one installation, no matter how small, you've made the point, and soon other residents will want the same setup. Then you point out that you can save the cost of the transformer by upgrading the wiring for a tiny bit more power, and jump to 1.5 kW 220V charging etc.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
If there were 10 of the 100 spaces needed charging facilities, that's still an additional 60amp supply, which the property's supply may or may not be able to supply. Certainly there would need to be a dedicated charging supply, not just a few power outlets connected to the existing wiring.
If several resident EV vehicle owners were wanting a 7kw charging facility, the demands on the property supply would be substantial and probably very expensive to implement. Who is going to foot the bill - no one who can't recoup the investment?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Sure. But how do you get the ball rolling on something like this? Hence my suggestion to derate the EVSE to the absolute lowest power, = 750W. 3A into a 220->110 transformer gets you 6A out, ok for an EVSE.
So that reduces the load for 10 spaces to total 30A. Agreed this needs new wiring. Surely a large residential complex with 100 spaces can find 30A somewhere? And when demand goes up, as it will, that's when the pressure on the Owner rises, and maybe he fits a few 7kW pay-as-you-go in a shared parking area? Whatever.

The alternative is you do nothing, and force the residents to go out & charge their EVs at a local Rapid, so you're back to the petrol station model. Presumably the residents would prefer to charge at home, as should be cheaper than a Rapid, not to say more convenient. 2 mph = 50 miles/24 hours sat there, that could well be ample for someone filling up over the w/e to go & work the next 5 days. In that position, I'd be prepared to pay for one individual length of wire to be run along the ceiling to my parking bay, and I'd pay for the EVSE & the transformer & boxing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have searched the forums and found one topic about installation of chargers for large residential car parks but no complete conclusion or solution.

I live in a flat/apartment where we have an underground car park of >100 car park spaces owned by their respective flat. I can see wiring conduit spread through out for lighting on the ceiling of the car park. There are other blocks with their own smaller car parks as well.

What is the best way to approach the freeholder/management company with respect to EV installations. I can't see how the OLEV grant can or could apply as that's very specific single installation and would not make sense for this scenario. I imagine there is a fixed cost involved in installing some fixed central infrastructure and chargers installed per n spaces to be shared. Some form of payment is required as well.

Has anyone seen or been involved in some project with similar scenario? I would have thought OLEV or City councils would be promoting some of these scenarios as its city center with a high concentration of car ownership.
I've installed at a new build of flats installing chargers for every car parking space, old towers adding chargers for a community EV charging area and old builds were the flat owner wanted a solo charger in his garage.

All chargers have grants available, it's really up the residents to approach the management company and say they're interested and then formulate a plan.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was looking into this too. Although I doubt the management company is going to actually do anything for a few years, there are companies out there that focus on this. PodPoint have a white paper and web page dedicated to it. Residential EV Charging | Pod Point

Future fuel is a consultancy that focuses on residential car parks too - Future Fuel Guide - Future Group

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I did see a youtube vid about someone who had a long lead installed all the way from his flat, down the service duct into the garage area, to his parking place. Sorry can't remember the title.

Could you do something similar?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts