Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've found the GOM to be 10 - 15% optimistic in both the Leaf 24 and 40 Eric (with limited experience of the 40 so far).

I did North Cambs to Cheltenham and back (121 miles each way) on Saturday, 90% of which was on dual carriageways / motorway. It was 14 degrees C and dry and I didn't use the heater. Kept speed to an indicated 63mph on the way there and used 86% battery, did 68mph coming back and used 90%.

That suggests a range of 133 miles at 68mph and 140 miles at 63mph in those conditions. GOM before I set off was indicating 160 miles.

As you say I think your 120 mile stint should be no problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I presume you had a rapid charge in Cheltenham area ?

My journey is actually intended to be 120 miles driving, 40 mins rapid charge then a further 90 miles driving. Other threads in this section lead me to believe that just one rapid charge during a journey shouldn't be a problem.
I charged twice, once in Warwick on the way down after 82 miles and then in Evesham coming back after a further 58 miles. The last leg home was 102 miles, pretty much all at 68mph and used 78% battery. Your 120 + 90 should be fine at <70mph.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem going from Swansea to Gloucester services then (100 miles) before needing a top up charge. My Leaf is due end of May and Swansea to Evesham is the furthest I plan on going (parents) so with one stop this should be easy.
Hey Thomas. Your journey from Swansea to Evesham should be do-able without a stop I reckon.

Depending on where exactly you are in Swansea and where you're going to in Evesham it's around 120 miles on the M4 / M5 motorways isn't it? Slightly shorter if you take the A40 / M50? I don't know the roads though.

After my trip this weekend I'd be more than happy to go for 120 miles non stop. There's rapid charging at The Valley retail park in Evesham (where I topped up) and the leisure centre too I think (that was my back up plan).

Once you've done a couple of longer trips you'll be more confident in how far you're happy to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I imagine that's down to tyre pressures increasing and rolling resistance decreasing with a rise in temperature? Mine started at 37psi and ended up at 41 or 42 after 100+ miles.

You could start with higher pressures if range was critical but there would be the safety element to consider if they got too high.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And before I forget - I managed a personal record today. In and around Cambridge and on a mostly 40mph limited A14.

23.4 miles on exactly 10% battery used (started with 86%, clicked down from 77 to 76% at 23.4 miles).

If those trip and SOC meter readings are accurate that's an NEDC matching (or VERY nearly) 234 miles of range with a consumption of 6.5 miles per kWh.

I didn't set out on an eco run, just kept up with slow moving traffic and it was pretty chilly with no heating on but it shows what's possible in the right conditions. I reckon 250 miles might be on with warmer outside temps! Well there's a way to waste a day away . :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're running to such tight margins that starting tyre pressure determines whether you get to your destination or not, then you are doing something wrong.
Completely agree Jeff, I wouldn't do it myself. I just imagined it was probably one reason Orrery noticed a reduction in consumption after 30 - 40 miles.

Slowing down by a few mph I'm sure makes a much greater difference to eking out the miles, as I found out today (above).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.