Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think I was looking at the BMW ix3 the other day and the web page showed WLTP energy usage of approx 3.3 miles/kWh which is a useful number along with battery size. It also had a breakdown of highway/city/combined wltp range (both summer and winter) like they sometimes do for ICE cars. Useful info and quite an eye opener seeing the difference between highway winter and city summer

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts
Possibly this page? A very useful site.

Worth noting that it doesn’t necessarily need to be winter for efficiency and hence potential range to be significantly impacted by weather.

Yesterday I drove from Scotland to London, and for the 70mph limit stretch from Peterborough services to London I set the cruise in my Kona at 68mph.

Due to the conditions, the average efficiency was a mere 2.8mi/kWh….giving a range of 170 miles using 95% of the battery.

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
91 Posts
In reality EV pwt are so efficient that any new factor that increases consumption will have a big effect on range.

I thing we are used to ICE being more efficient at highway speeds so seing the range dropping dramatically on HW needs some getting used to it...

·
3,129 Posts
Yep - and there does seem to be quite a few EV owners who haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that their "300 mile" car will sometimes only do 170 ish miles, even if they are travelling well under the speed limit.

Fortunately, tools like ABRP help to remove the rose tinted glasses and allow people to simulate individual journeys in different weather conditions. (You just will usually need to increase the default reference consumption by at least 10% to get accurate results).

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A 2660kg car doing 2.9mls/kwh says it all for me.
My average has been 3.6 outside of long motorway drives, if that helps. 3.9 on "city" drives. I haven't actually driven it in proper hot weather yet though. I have no doubt it'll do 300 miles of country driving in the summer.

·
3,129 Posts
Similar for my Soul - ABRP is way pessimistic (better that way round!) - hence why I say that despite what it says the Soul is a genuine 200+ mile car at motorway speeds in ALMOST all weathers....
Except, in the other thread, you’ve been talking about the Soul having no issue doing 200 miles “all year round” and not doing less than 3.5mi/kWh at 68mph…;)

Like I’ve been saying, some people just mustn’t haven’t actually driven a motorway journey in conditions like I did just yesterday…

(I dread to think what the efficiency would have been if it was actually winter and on top of the rain and wind it was also much colder.)

·
3,129 Posts
Why is reporting my real world data a problem?
Because your real world data is not representative of the real world scenarios someone else will encounter.

Good job I didn’t trust that I would have no issue doing 200 miles on the motorway in one hit yesterday.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,522 Posts
Because your real world data is not representative of the real world scenarios someone else will encounter.

Good job I didn’t trust that I would have no issue doing 200 miles on the motorway in one hit yesterday.
You just did the exact same thing! How is your post different? You made a choice in awful weather to drive at speeds not suitable for said weather...

·
3,129 Posts
You just did the exact same thing! How is your post different? You made a choice in awful weather to drive at speeds not suitable for said weather...
When we are talking about range, what we really are most concerned with is what is the range in the worst sort of conditions we’re realistically likely to encounter in the UK - like yesterday (although it could have been quite a lot worse given it was 8°C and not that windy really.)

68mph was totally suitable and perfectly safe. Please done try to tell me it was in any way 'unsuitable' or wrong to drive (an actual) 5mph below the speed limit on a motorway, in the left lane, with nothing in front of me for 90% of the time just because it was raining and a bit windy.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,522 Posts
When we are talking about range, what we really are most concerned with is what is the range in the worst sort of conditions we’re realistically likely to encounter in the UK - like yesterday (although it could have been quite a lot worse given it was 8°C and not that windy really.)

68mph was totally suitable and perfectly safe. Please done try to tell me it was in any way 'unsuitable' or wrong to drive (an actual) 5mph below the speed limit on a motorway, in the left lane, with nothing in front of me for 90% of the time just because it was raining and a bit windy.
And you have gone and done it again... Sorry to burst your bubble but you are not a representative sample of the UK drivers or even EV drivers. I will simply put this here: Because your real world data is not representative of the real world scenarios someone else will encounter.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
The point is, there needs to be some realism injected into a lot of these range discussions.

For everybody saying ‘200 miles no sweat’ there needs to be somebody saying ‘maybe not’, unless we’re saying it’s normal to have to drive at 56mph when it’s wet and windy to get 200 miles.

People need information, then they can make their own decisions based on it, that means the good and bad.

Similar to the ID.4 thread, it’s probably accurate to say the Kona will do somewhere between 175 and 300 miles, depending on weather, temp, speed, terrain and driving style.

It does nobody any favours to pretend that people will always get the higher end of that spectrum.

·
3,129 Posts
And you have gone and done it again... Sorry to burst your bubble but you are not a representative sample of the UK drivers or even EV drivers. I will simply put this here: Because your real world data is not representative of the real world scenarios someone else will encounter.
I’m sorry, but you apparently just don’t understand the simple premise that with an EV the figure you really need to consider is the range in the worst conditions you are likely to encounter (like yesterday, only worse).

What range you get on a nice day is fine and lovely and makes for pretty pictures on here of GOMs showing 300+ miles but it’s not much good if you find yourself somewhere 200+ miles from home when weather like yesterday happens.

·
3,129 Posts
unless we’re saying it’s normal to have to drive at 56mph when it’s wet and windy to get 200 miles.
I’m now eager to know what speed the man who wasn’t (I presume) driving on the same road as me, at the same time, in the same conditions thinks would have been "suitable". Some people are unbelievable!

·
3,129 Posts
You know what, I only set the cruise at 68 so I could test what efficiency I got as I had a hunch it would be just a tad below 3.5mi/kWh and plenty of Kona 'experts' have been proclaiming on the other thread it can easily do 250 miles on the motorway all year round etc etc.

I would have quite happily have had it at 73-75.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Possibly this page? A very useful site.

Worth noting that it doesn’t necessarily need to be winter for efficiency and hence potential range to be significantly impacted by weather.

Yesterday I drove from Scotland to London, and for the 70mph limit stretch from Peterborough services to London I set the cruise in my Kona at 68mph.

Due to the conditions, the average efficiency was a mere 2.8mi/kWh….giving a range of 170 miles using 95% of the battery.
no - the manufacturer site which is why it was a pleasant surprise

Reactions: Bill N

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,522 Posts
The point is, there needs to be some realism injected into a lot of these range discussions.

For everybody saying ‘200 miles no sweat’ there needs to be somebody saying ‘maybe not’, unless we’re saying it’s normal to have to drive at 56mph when it’s wet and windy to get 200 miles.

People need information, then they can make their own decisions based on it, that means the good and bad.

Similar to the ID.4 thread, it’s probably accurate to say the Kona will do somewhere between 175 and 300 miles, depending on weather, temp, speed, terrain and driving style.

It does nobody any favours to pretend that people will always get the higher end of that spectrum.
Realism, yes. Focusing on the worst possible case, that is far removed from realism.

It could be just me, but I do prefer to try to understand the various factors that can impact performance, both good and bad. Once I do that, I have the tools to manage the performance that I'm achieving from my car. I can improve or destroy the range depending on my trip requirements.

So, a general statement like EV can do anything from X to Y miles is pointless. It is a car and I can safely say that it will do anything between 0 and 32,468,737miles. And I will be correct. Please dispute!

And finally, I'm not trying to pretend or fake anything. My knowledge/experience is my own. And conversely, I'm not concerned what other people achieve or do not achieve in their own cars. If I see something that will help me improve, I will test it out. But I do prefer to focus on spreading different ways of achieving better performance. Not publicising "10 ways of how not to drive an EV". Not because of hypocrisy, but because I myself want to be helpful to others.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts