Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Indeed - I’ve restrained from posting about Bjørn’s findings though because his winter results for the high speed Kona test was in -13°C and I’m sure people would be quick to claim that’s too extreme to be considered as a realistic worst case for the UK.

But in any event, I suspect wind is probably a more significant factor, at least unless you get to extremely cold temperatures - and as I found yesterday, strong winds (and rain) can happen at just about any time of year.
It might not happen very often, but I’ve had a journey of 120 miles where I left the house at -10, and saw temps as low as -18 within 5 miles before reaching Edinburgh, and was driving at -12 on the M8. Traffic was stopping all over the place as windscreens and washers were frozen solid and covered in dirt, and by the time I reached Harthill services they shop had almost run out of de-icer and screenwash and it was only 8:30am! When I got back home later that afternoon it was still reading -10 on the dash.

I’ve lived in the same part of Scotland for a little over 20 years and do recall many winters, often around late December or early January where there would get a week or maybe 10 days where daytime temps maxed at about -5, and night time lows were -15. Thankfully, unlike Bjorn, we don’t get this seasonal pattern reliably every year nor for the length of time that he does

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,131 Posts
It might not happen very often, but I’ve had a journey of 120 miles where I left the house at -10, and saw temps as low as -18 within 5 miles before reaching Edinburgh, and was driving at -12 on the M8.
Yep, I was just looking up articles about the very cold snap we had in late Feb this year.

These sorts of conditions where efficiency can be significantly reduced may not be particularly common in the UK, but as you say, they can and do happen and I’d much rather help people understand what to expect when they do rather than to try and maintain a certain car will always deliver a certain amount of miles.

The hazardous conditions that normally accompany very cold weather, which in turn generally leads to much reduced traffic speeds (especially in the UK with most people on all season or summer tyres) is another reason why wind is possibly/probably a more important one for people to bear in mind - a) you can’t always see that it’s windy so it’s easier to not realise energy is being sapped by a headwind b) it can happen throughout the year and c) unless it’s extreme wind traffic will generally continue at similar speeds to normal so the impact isn’t automatically offset by lower speed.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I was intrigued to see if anyones tried to do some real world testing with fairly controlled conditions, ie same driver, same test route etc.
Well, when I had an ID.3 and Ioniq 38 outside, I did some tests to compare them as closely as poss. Conclusion was that at genuine 70 up the same 20 mile m'way stretch & back, the ID.3 was 10% less efficient than the Ioniq.
Details here:
Ioniq 38 kWh BEV vs. VW ID.3 Life 58 kWh + HeatPump...

61 - 63 of 63 Posts