Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I am just wondering if it is possible to install an device that allows Apple CarPlay to work with a first generation Volt/Ampera? I am not the most technical of owners when it comes to modern electronics but there does appear to be a number of devices on the market that claim to make CarPlay work with older vehicles. Has anyone achieved success with this?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,361 Posts
Basically, I am just wondering if it is possible to install an device that allows Apple CarPlay to work with a first generation Volt/Ampera? I am not the most technical of owners when it comes to modern electronics but there does appear to be a number of devices on the market that claim to make CarPlay work with older vehicles. Has anyone achieved success with this?
There is a chap on FB that has posted about it. I think he is French, I was expecting more of our US friends to have carried it out and was not sure of compatibility. If I remember rightly they were able to use a small section of the touchscreen to change the input but our display has something showing and is used as a 'button' where they selected. He has installed a box of tricks and an inconspicuous switch that allows him to change the screen display to an external source (mobile phone) and change back again when needed. Have a rake on YouTube and I will try and locate the info on the FB page.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Think this is the original thread on how to do it on the volt;

Not sure if this a newer option but it's more expensive!

It feels about as plug and play as your can get but will still require some dismantling and re-plugging of connectors.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Dutch product looks promising. I have emailed them to see if they have a supplier/installer in the UK.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the Dutch product looks promising. I have emailed them to see if they have a supplier/installer in the UK.
If you are going to buy then try and get some user reviews on it first as it is quite expensive. They also don't show you whats in the kit or installation instructions which I'd like to see before parting with that much cash. The devil is typically in the detail with these sort of devices, some of which you won't know until you have tried it. A good solution if it works though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts