Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a 1st Ed, which I narrowly went for over the Family spec at the last minute when the big deposit contributions starting appearing on the 1sts. So that saved me about £5k to swap the sunroof and wireless charging out for the alloys (and play/pause pedals :ROFLMAO:)

I was hoping in the back of my mind that someone enterprising would figure out how to retrofit a 1st with a wireless charger and I'd be able to copy them, but 5 months later and I've not spotted anyone doing this yet!

Has anyone seen someone manage a retrofit?

What are other 1st Ed owners doing? Just living without it? Or I heard about some people putting a pad in the slot - is that just with a cable trailing up and over to the USB slots?

Cheers!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Someone on the Facebook group has done a full retrofit by 3D printing a bracket to fit under the trim etc. It's not a trivial install.

Or I heard about some people putting a pad in the slot - is that just with a cable trailing up and over to the USB slots?
That's what I've done. It works fine for me & you can't really see it unless looking for it. This is the one I bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086W93B2N along with a very short USB C to micro cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LONQ7R6) that is the perfect length to reach from the USB sockets over the lip into the phone slot. The sliding cover closes almost all the way. The pad is a tight fit, so doesn't rattle around. I don't use a case on my phone, it may be a bit tight if you do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone on the Facebook group has done a full retrofit by 3D printing a bracket to fit under the trim etc. It's not a trivial install.

That's what I've done. It works fine for me & you can't really see it unless looking for it. This is the one I bought - Knicetech Wireless Charger, 10W Wireless Charging Pad Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max /11 Pro /11 /XS/XS Max/X / 8, Fast Charging for Samsung Galaxy S10 /S10+ /S9 /S8 /S7 /Note 8 - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics along with a very short USB C to micro cable (Amazon Basics USB Type-C to Micro-B 2.0 Cable - 15.2 cm - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) that is the perfect length to reach from the USB sockets over the lip into the phone slot. The sliding cover closes almost all the way. The pad is a tight fit, so doesn't rattle around. I don't use a case on my phone, it may be a bit tight if you do.
Amazing, that's all really helpful thanks. Which Facebook group is that on? I did recently get a 3D printer but didn't realise that I might be using it for car components.... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had a look at the schematics for the wireless equipped cars - looks like a fairly easy retrofit potentially - but I've not taken it any further yet. It appears its a slightly different loom in the centre console; but essentially is the same power supply/loom feed as that which feeds the USB C ports - so fairly plug & play; and no coding I don't think. The charger components I believe are some brackets and pad etc. which all fit within the centre console. Should be able to get all parts from VW....I've already been pestering about rear speakers and wiring harnesses though - so I'm biding my time on this one.....I'll probably ask when I take ours in for it's 2.1 update...

IF it ends up being more than this and that there's a different part number for the actual whole 'high' centre console then I won't bother.....don't need to charge the phone enough in the car to warrant it really anyway!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Starting to feel a bit like a broken record but as has been discussed in the rear speakers thread, it's worth being aware that any modifications that touch power/electronics or involve removing any trim are likely to void your warranty in some way or other.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
256 Posts
I bought an ultra-thin square pad which fits the phone slot even with my phone in a case, it’s stuck to the slot rubber with sticky pads - plus a cable with a USB-C connector on one end so I wouldn’t have to use an adapter when powering it from the car.

It‘s not perfect, but it does the job.

I first removed the plate under the slot rubber to have a look at the wiring for the USB-C ports, but there was no obvious way of taking a feed from there (not with my skills anyhow!) so I opted for the solution above.

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
So I have my ID.4 ... it lacks wireless charging. When I remove the rubber cover mat, which lifts off for cleaning, it reveals what looks like a removable/unclipable base ... is this how it looks in the id.3 ? ... has anyone removed it to see whats underneath?

I'm thinking of retro fitting wireless charging so keen to see if there is anything to connect anything to / install in the 'panel space.
. 20210320_130646.jpg

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
256 Posts
So I have my ID.4 ... it lacks wireless charging. When I remove the rubber cover mat, which lifts off for cleaning, it reveals what looks like a removable/unclipable base ... is this how it looks in the id.3 ? ... has anyone removed it to see whats underneath?

I'm thinking of retro fitting wireless charging so keen to see if there is anything to connect anything to / install in the 'panel space.
. View attachment 142280
That’s exactly what you see in the ID.3, remove it in the ID.3 and you’ll see an empty space and the back side of the wiring for the USB-C ports - but there’s no obvious way of tapping into that, the only person I know who was retro-fitted a proper charging pad in place of that plate ran power from the fuse box.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
256 Posts
Yes, but as I mentioned it isn’t obvious (to me at least, or anyone else I know has had a poke around) how to draw power from there. The guy I mentioned above 3D-printed a panel to take a charging coil, which fits in place of the existing panel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Will be watching with interest for my ID.4. Still baffles me as to why it wouldn't have one already but I know someone with a 3D printer and I'd be happy enough running a loom from the fuse box...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a chat with Mark from the Facebook group linked above and got all the details from him. It really looks no harder than installing a dash cam, which in itself is dead easy, and in fact it uses a dash cam wiring kit to hook into the fuse box. Sooo I've ordered (and received) the necessary parts and have asked a work colleague to 3D print the mounting bracket for it. Bit of hot glue and some creative routing of cable through trim is all it seems to need. Here's what's needed:

This dash cam wiring kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H35NCNQ/
This wireless charger: ASHATA DIY Wireless Charging Transmitter Module: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
This 3D printed bracket: 3D design ID3 Charger panel 3 | Tinkercad

Hoping to have a go at installing at the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Little update: I spent the best part of 5 hours working on this today, but pretty much 90% of that time was trying to route the USB cable that powers the charger through the tunnel that runs under the floor and up into the centre console.

In the end this was achieved with the help of a £20 endoscope from Toolstation. I ran the scope far enough through so that I could see the light coming out of the other end, and that gave me a point of reference to reach in and grab it. Then I zip tied the USB cable to the end of the scope and pulled it back through. Job done!

Unfortunately I was then out of light so I've had to abandon for the evening. I'll finish it off in the morning and try to take some pictures of the process.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finished the job, along with wiring up a dashcam. I went through all of the 10-15 amp micro fuses and only found one (a 10 amp) that isn't powered when the ignition is off, so I ended up piggybacking both the charger and dashcam from the same point. It's a reasonably low draw so I'm not worried about burning it out or anything.

Ultimately the hardest part of the job was indeed the aforementioned getting the USB cable through the underfloor tunnel, which if done with an endoscope or similar from the start would've made the whole thing hours quicker. Oh, and then the whole tidying everything up with zip ties was quite the hassle, but by that point I was fully sick of squatting in the foot well!

Anyways, it works, though my Pixel isn't 100% keen on it (the charger has a light that goes blue when charging. That remains blue throughout but the phone charges for a while and then stops), but I'm pretty sure that's a phone issue. Pleased I've done it now. Would recommend!

·
Registered
14 Posts

That's what I've done. It works fine for me & you can't really see it unless looking for it. This is the one I bought - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086W93B2N along with a very short USB C to micro cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LONQ7R6) that is the perfect length to reach from the USB sockets over the lip into the phone slot. The sliding cover closes almost all the way. The pad is a tight fit, so doesn't rattle around. I don't use a case on my phone, it may be a bit tight if you do.

So do you placed your phone on the top most slot and the qi pad is on the tray below?

·
Registered
70 Posts
So do you placed your phone on the top most slot and the qi pad is on the tray below?
The ID4 only has one slot for some reason. There's a rubber mat and underneath that is a tray that pops out to give access to the USB port wiring. This tray is replaced entirely with the 3D printed version, to which the charger is attached. Once you put the mat back on you can't tell the difference.

I did take a few photos but then got caught up with trying to get the USB cable through the wiring tunnel and forgot to take any more, so I'm not sure what I did get would be much use. I'll see if I can post them up in a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts