Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Leaf 40 but the lack of telescope adjustment in the steering wheel seriously hinders my comfort (I’m tall(ish) at 6’2). I was wondering now that the 2021 Leaf comes with telescope adjustment, whether it would be possible to retrofit this onto an older Leaf 40? Has anyone enquired about this - is it a silly thought/likely to cost a fortune?? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, reviving an old thread here. I'll be doing exactly this to my 2018 weekend. After reviewing the shop manual, it seems to be a direct swap with only a few bolts and harnesses. I bought a telescoping steering column off a wrecked 2022 LEAF for $750 USD. I considered trading my 2018 for a 2020, but with electric car prices gone bonkers here in the US, it is 10x cheaper to just do the column swap.

I think the only trip up will be the steering angle sensor which may have to be reset by a shop. Even if they charge me $100 to do this, I'll still be in less than $900.

I'll follow up and post the results later on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the only trip up will be the steering angle sensor which may have to be reset by a shop. Even if they charge me $100 to do this, I'll still be in less than $900.
I should also mention that I can sell the 2018 steering column on Ebay for $300-500, so that will offset the cost of the project nicely.

I'm 6' 4" (2m) tall and driving around with a non-telescoping steering wheel has been quite uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should also mention that I can sell the 2018 steering column on Ebay for $300-500, so that will offset the cost of the project nicely.

I'm 6' 4" (2m) tall and driving around with a non-telescoping steering wheel has been quite uncomfortable.
Update: It worked great. Took me about 2 hours. It was a direct bolt-in to the 2018 Leaf 40. The only thing that was a bit tricky was getting the steering angle sensor reset in the right direction. I had to put the car in reverse with the steering shaft disconnected, rotate the wheel until the backup camera lights were straight, then bolt the shaft back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts