Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this warning twice now while my hands were very much on the wheel. I think it happened at the same place on the motorway each time, so wondered if it's to do with lane markings?

I'm a bit concerned because in the event of an accident Renault might report that I was driving inattentively when in reality I wasn't doing anything untoward.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
Turn Lane Keeping Assist off?

I got this a lot in the new Peugeot 508 I drove last week. Pretty sure it's the same supplier for both systems.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite
16 Posts
I have had this once going over the brow of a hill so I am assuming it is to do with the centre line disappearing for a split second. The manual says the below:

LANE KEEP ASSIST

Using information from the 1 camera, the function triggers corrective action on the vehicle steering system when a continuous or broken line is crossed or when approaching the roadside (divider, barrier, pavement, embankment, etc.) without the direction indicator lights being activated.
Note: make sure the windscreen is not obscured (dirt, mud, snow, condensation etc.).

SPECIAL CASE

If the system can no longer detect any action by the driver on the steering wheel, the warning light illuminates in orange on the instrument panel, accompanied by the message: “Keeping hands on steering wheel” and an audible warning.

The beep sounds together with the warning light and the message until the driver takes control.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had this once going over the brow of a hill so I am assuming it is to do with the centre line disappearing for a split second. The manual says the below:

LANE KEEP ASSIST

Using information from the 1 camera, the function triggers corrective action on the vehicle steering system when a continuous or broken line is crossed or when approaching the roadside (divider, barrier, pavement, embankment, etc.) without the direction indicator lights being activated.
Note: make sure the windscreen is not obscured (dirt, mud, snow, condensation etc.).

SPECIAL CASE

If the system can no longer detect any action by the driver on the steering wheel, the warning light illuminates in orange on the instrument panel, accompanied by the message: “Keeping hands on steering wheel” and an audible warning.

The beep sounds together with the warning light and the message until the driver takes control.
Ah, Thanks!

So maybe it's just a spot on the road where I'm not adjusting the steering for a bit. It could be the white line at the side of the road disappears at that spot too - will try and pay more attention now I'm aware it seems to be repeatable.

The idea of being convicted for careless driving still isn't appealing though!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I believe this error message was left over from when this was intended to be a "Lane following" system (where you can usually go hands-off for 15s or so before being shouted at), but they couldn't get it working well enough so labelled it as regular "Lane departure prevention" instead. Alongside the stories of botched software, the very fact it behaves more like half-arsed lane following instead of regular LDP is testament to this.

The idea of being convicted for careless driving still isn't appealing though!
I can guarantee you the car doesn't record data or phone home in that level of detail. Even if it did, if you believe anyone would know where or how to look for such data, you have far too much faith in manufacturers, insurers and the police ;)

Reactions: Biffa

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe this error message was left over from when this was intended to be a "Lane following" system (where you can usually go hands-off for 15s or so before being shouted at), but they couldn't get it working well enough so labelled it as regular "Lane departure prevention" instead.

I can guarantee you the car doesn't record data or phone home in that level of detail. Even if it did, if you believe anyone would know where or how to look for such data, you have far too much faith in manufacturers, insurers and the police ;)
Interesting. I was just going off the fatalities in self-driving tests where they knew exactly what the driver was doing. Although on reflection those were specially wired up test cars (there was even video from one of them) so maybe a standard production car doesn't report at that level of detail.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Tesla records a little more detail, but from a practical perspective, nobody’s going to look that closely unless you kill someone.

And as lane assist on the Zoe is a motorway-only system, there ain’t really a lot you can do about it at 70mph anyway - so the focus would probably be on why someone was trying to cross the M-whatever in the first place 😂

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
183 Posts
Interesting. I was just going off the fatalities in self-driving tests where they knew exactly what the driver was doing. Although on reflection those were specially wired up test cars (there was even video from one of them) so maybe a standard production car doesn't report at that level of detail.
Every new car sold in USA since 1st Sept 2014 has a data recorder (aka black box) which records road situation (GPS position, speed, time, temp, ECU, airbags) and driver inputs (steering, accel & brakes, ABS, Traction Control) which are available to accident investigators.
Volvo, for many years, used this data to improve car safety.
This is planned to be a requirement in EU from 2022

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It'll probably be used to detect folk going more than 5 miles from their house with more than 2 unrelated people in their car on a Tuesday while it's cloudy, the way things are going... ;)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
It'll probably be used to detect folk going more than 5 miles from their house with more than 2 unrelated people in their car on a Tuesday while it's cloudy, the way things are going... ;)
I read Tesla are discontinuing the 7 seat option in the Model X in the UK due to the reduction in demand foreseen as a result of current restrictions. (j/k for the avoidance of doubt)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,040 Posts
You can just put a red cross on one of the seats like they do in Parliament.
Then that can be removed by an over the air update when things change back again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts