Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having run a Nissan Leaf 24 kWh for 3 years from 2014, I am now returning to the world of EV's following the end of the lease on my Volvo XC90 diesel. This has proven to be a wonderful car to drive and use daily due to its build and luxury appointments however the choice of EV's and range has caught up significantly in the last 2 years so time to reduce motoring costs and return from the dark side.

I know its not the most cutting edge compared to a Tesla but the updated Ioniq has caught my eye and there are some very reasonable leasing deals about. Ideally wanted a Premium SE but the additional jump in price does not seem very cost effective (approaching £60-£70 extra per month) compared to the already good spec on the Premium.

original home charger was a 16 amp 3kwh Chargemaster device. Will it be worth upgrading to charge at 7kwh or will I not really notice much difference overnight? My original was installed in 2014 via grant in my name. Would I get away with another grant installation in name of my wife or I could just install a 32 amp socket for around £400 with no grant involved. I presume Chargemaster maybe also be able to upgrade the inners as another option? Help and advise most welcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In virtually the same situation as me.
Had C-Zero then Leaf24 till Feb 2017, then gone back to diesel. Just ordered an Ioniq Premium, would have had SE but monthly jumped too much with 12500/yr deal.
Now got to change or add additional home charge point as original 32a (only difference!) is type 1 not type 2.
My research says you can have a second grant on the same property.
Trying to decide whether to go for second grant and get untethered 32a socket or convert existing.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
You can only get two grants if you own two plug in cars at same time. If you got the first grant a long time ago, they may not have a record so you might get away with applying again. However, if they find out later they could try and claim back the £500.

If it still works OK, it isn't hard to change the cable on your existing charger.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome! I've started a thread for those who've ordered an Ioniq. Feel free to post on there also

I thought deliveries are supposed to start 2020? Not even sure about the month...
Deliveries have already started. Seen one around Worcester and there's a guy on IoniqForum who has posted photos.

I'm supposed to be getting mine next month

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
In virtually the same situation as me.
Had C-Zero then Leaf24 till Feb 2017, then gone back to diesel. Just ordered an Ioniq Premium, would have had SE but monthly jumped too much with 12500/yr deal.
Now got to change or add additional home charge point as original 32a (only difference!) is type 1 not type 2.
My research says you can have a second grant on the same property.
Trying to decide whether to go for second grant and get untethered 32a socket or convert existing.
With regards to your existing type 1 tethered lead, the lowest cost, least wasteful solution is just to replace the existing cable and connector with a new type 2 assembly. Really it's a like for like swap.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
With regards to your existing type 1 tethered lead, the lowest cost, least wasteful solution is just to replace the existing cable and connector with a new type 2 assembly. Really it's a like for like swap.
Agreed. Useful info at link below

Although, I didn't when I got the Zoe! I sold the 16A Type 1 Chargemaster on ebay, picked up a new (old stock) 32A PODPoint at a good price and got my friendly spark to fit to existing cabling. It is downrated to 16A (due to cable) but when we move I will take it with us. I like aesthetics of PODPoint unit and interested in Smart capability, but the latter is a tad disappointing at present!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that’s my Premium all ordered. Likely delivery in January 2020. I have to say pretty excited to be returning to a BEV

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leasing £1500 deposit and just over £250 per month for two years. Had been paying £445 for my Volvo plus derv. Like said the Premium SE upped it to £320 so decided against.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to get some of the really cheap leasing deals that appeared but the offers kept getting withdrawn when Hyundai realised the pricing was wrong. Previously I was paying £200 for my Lead back in 2014 plus a very hefty deposit so the Ioniq appears to represent good value

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took out a 28kWh Ioniq yesterday for two hours (loved the drive and got around 95 miles with heavy feet often bursting to a little er more then sitting at 70 so 38kWh should easily give 150 -170 miles real world I reckon, would have done more but let down by Ecotricity at ferry bridge Svs on m62 ?) as new Ioniq not available for test yet in local dealer, going to be placing my order on Thursday for Ioniq prem S.E via civilian Motability scheme but I get mine via my forces Disabled war pension With advance of £143 plus some of my war pension (about £250 a month, insurance and servicing included). I am also coming back from the dark side from a RAV4 hybrid. Had 24kWh leaf until April 2017, then B-Class electric which was a cluster fudge of useless from merc slain with tech probs ended in July 2017 handing it back and ending up in the Rav 4 as they had no other electric cars on the scheme then. Wife did have a ZOE as well so we didn’t go totally over to the dark side! Good to be back in an EV again.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Whether you need to upgrade your charger partly depends on how much charge you need how quickly. If you want more than 14kWh (about 55 miles) on a time of use tariff like Octopus Go then it is worth it. If you are willing to charge for longer then possibly not.
You need to check whether your existing cable is up to the higher current, and would probably need to have it uprated as well as a new MCB and RCD arrangements as well as a new unit. The person who claimed on the OLEV grant will not be able to claim again unless you have two EVs with an intended minimum 6 month overlap, but a person in a different name can such as your partner if she still uses her maiden name can.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If you do want a new unit but don't qualify for the OLEV grant consider getting a sparky to replace the old one with a 32amp "commando" IEE socket and invest in an Ohme unit, particularly if you get it via Octopus. This is the most cost-effective way to get smart charging, but watch @mikeselectricstuff review first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts