Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having run a Nissan Leaf 24 kWh for 3 years from 2014, I am now returning to the world of EV's following the end of the lease on my Volvo XC90 diesel. This has proven to be a wonderful car to drive and use daily due to its build and luxury appointments however the choice of EV's and range has caught up significantly in the last 2 years so time to reduce motoring costs and return from the dark side.

I know its not the most cutting edge compared to a Tesla but the updated Ioniq has caught my eye and there are some very reasonable leasing deals about. Ideally wanted a Premium SE but the additional jump in price does not seem very cost effective (approaching £60-£70 extra per month) compared to the already good spec on the Premium.

original home charger was a 16 amp 3kwh Chargemaster device. Will it be worth upgrading to charge at 7kwh or will I not really notice much difference overnight? My original was installed in 2014 via grant in my name. Would I get away with another grant installation in name of my wife or I could just install a 32 amp socket for around £400 with no grant involved. I presume Chargemaster maybe also be able to upgrade the inners as another option? Help and advise most welcome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In virtually the same situation as me.
Had C-Zero then Leaf24 till Feb 2017, then gone back to diesel. Just ordered an Ioniq Premium, would have had SE but monthly jumped too much with 12500/yr deal.
Now got to change or add additional home charge point as original 32a (only difference!) is type 1 not type 2.
My research says you can have a second grant on the same property.
Trying to decide whether to go for second grant and get untethered 32a socket or convert existing.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
You can only get two grants if you own two plug in cars at same time. If you got the first grant a long time ago, they may not have a record so you might get away with applying again. However, if they find out later they could try and claim back the £500.

If it still works OK, it isn't hard to change the cable on your existing charger.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome! I've started a thread for those who've ordered an Ioniq. Feel free to post on there also

I thought deliveries are supposed to start 2020? Not even sure about the month...
Deliveries have already started. Seen one around Worcester and there's a guy on IoniqForum who has posted photos.

I'm supposed to be getting mine next month

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
In virtually the same situation as me.
Had C-Zero then Leaf24 till Feb 2017, then gone back to diesel. Just ordered an Ioniq Premium, would have had SE but monthly jumped too much with 12500/yr deal.
Now got to change or add additional home charge point as original 32a (only difference!) is type 1 not type 2.
My research says you can have a second grant on the same property.
Trying to decide whether to go for second grant and get untethered 32a socket or convert existing.
With regards to your existing type 1 tethered lead, the lowest cost, least wasteful solution is just to replace the existing cable and connector with a new type 2 assembly. Really it's a like for like swap.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
With regards to your existing type 1 tethered lead, the lowest cost, least wasteful solution is just to replace the existing cable and connector with a new type 2 assembly. Really it's a like for like swap.
Agreed. Useful info at link below

Although, I didn't when I got the Zoe! I sold the 16A Type 1 Chargemaster on ebay, picked up a new (old stock) 32A PODPoint at a good price and got my friendly spark to fit to existing cabling. It is downrated to 16A (due to cable) but when we move I will take it with us. I like aesthetics of PODPoint unit and interested in Smart capability, but the latter is a tad disappointing at present!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that’s my Premium all ordered. Likely delivery in January 2020. I have to say pretty excited to be returning to a BEV

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leasing £1500 deposit and just over £250 per month for two years. Had been paying £445 for my Volvo plus derv. Like said the Premium SE upped it to £320 so decided against.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to get some of the really cheap leasing deals that appeared but the offers kept getting withdrawn when Hyundai realised the pricing was wrong. Previously I was paying £200 for my Lead back in 2014 plus a very hefty deposit so the Ioniq appears to represent good value

1 - 12 of 12 Posts