Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

Who knows how to make the zoe 2014 camera turn on all the time. I want to be able to switch on the back camera whenever i want whether or not its in reverse. Thankyou

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Well don't get caught by a copper seeing that - it's 3 points and unlimited fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can go in to the reversing camera settings from the vehicle settings menu while driving. This will display a smaller window with the reversing camera view and brightness/contrast settings. You'll only do it once for the novelty more than likely.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
No there is no requirement in law to even have a rear view mirror - only the side mirrors are required.

You can't be seriously wanting to drive whilst looking down at a screen!?

Am I the only one with Google? :p

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
No there is no requirement in law to even have a rear view mirror - only the side mirrors are required.

You can't be seriously wanting to drive whilst looking down at a screen!?

Am I the only one with Google? :p
Who said I was. Maybe I want to glance at it. :)

It’s difficult to prove a negative - so where does it say I can’t look at a rear view camera whilst driving?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Who said I was. Maybe I want to glance at it. :)

It’s difficult to prove a negative - so where does it say I can’t look at a rear view camera whilst driving?
this is double-edged sword IMHO - in the hands of responsible, driver I would see major benefit (better awareness of traffic behind, help with the blinds spots perhaps), but then there is the other group ....

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
There is no benefit to watching a screen on the dash whilst driving. There is however a chance you can lose your licence - cah197 it's in the RTA if you can't be bothered to go and look at it then you do things at your own risk.

It's not a negative.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If you are talking “driving without due care and attention” then even changing the radio or reaching for a can in the cup holder or smoking a ciggy or saving a dash cam clip (I have a massive issue with the need to specifically make using a phone illegal)

The specifics of having a rear view camera image displayed on the HU being subject to a FPN is rubbish imho. Let alone being mentioned in the road traffic act.

My pioneer HU allows me to do it with a single touch. It’s a good function. The HU won’t allow any other imagery or manual sat nav input unless the hand brake is on so pioneer selling millions of units in the U.K. must be missing something.

JJ

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is no benefit to watching a screen on the dash whilst driving. There is however a chance you can lose your licence - cah197 it's in the RTA if you can't be bothered to go and look at it then you do things at your own risk.

It's not a negative.
'Its in the road traffic act' does not cut it. Post a link to it. I suspect you won't because its not there. I have never heard of this law - all I am asking is you provide me with the info. I'm not being an arse, just want to see what makes you so certain thats all dude.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
okay - well if I must.

From 1988

"(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any "screen" carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer."

Amended in 1991 to

any device within the eye line of the driver which is construed as a receiver or player. So that makes the reversing camera in the front of the vehicle illegal if you watch it whilst driving along.

Whilst you might be reported for the regulation offence were you to use the device you refer to, there are also the option of other offences depending on the circumstances such as dangerous or careless driving, failing to maintain proper control of the vehicle and/or driving with visibility obscured.

You can google the link if you want the full act - it basically means anything else but a Sat nav is dodgy. Even if you argue that you could look at both screens for the same amount of time.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/contents

Have a good day :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A search of the legislation website reveals the wording quoted above is actually from the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (1986 No. 1078 / PART IV / F / Regulation 109). The search results don't include the Road Traffic Act.

In any case (c) is a clear exemption of outside view cameras.

I can't find any later amendments to this; if anyone can find them, please post.

But really, if reversing cameras and similar 360 degree view cameras were not legal to use while driving, they would not be legal to use while parking either!

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Our USA Model S allows you to watch rear camera while driving. Can you do that on UK ones?

·
Registered
14,879 Posts
...otherwise you can't even reverse with the camera, as you're still driving the car. Clearly not meant to include systems that improve driver visibility, but systems that transmit TV programmes.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Ah well someone bothered to do a Google - shame the rest of you are just dam lazy

Fair play :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts