Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've just discovered this!

Reversing into my drive, as I have done for decades, checking the reversing cameras, mirrors and over shoulder, the car starts beeping. Nothing apparent, but the beeps
got faster and faster, then the constant tone, but nothing there, all a bit weird. Is this a trip to the dealer?

Then all of a sudden ... BANG ..... the brakes slam on! And I mean came on, jolting me in my seat!

I couldn't figure it out, there was nothing there. Tried again ..... BANG .... on come the brakes.

Then I realised, it was a chrysanthemum flower in full bloom in the wind, bending across the sensor as I reversed!

Nice to know the feature is there. 馃榾

Registered
Does yours have the auto park option? It鈥檚 probably included with that. Auto park stops are similarly marginal.

Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
Ah, modern tech. My i3 detects the kerb as I ride up it too. Fortunately it disappears from view before it decides it should do anything about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does yours have the auto park option? It鈥檚 probably included with that. Auto park stops are similarly marginal.
There鈥檚 a question! Dunno, I鈥檒l check tomorrow 馃

Edit: Why wait until tomorrow? Yes, it appears I have. You'll have to forgive me, I've only had the car a year. Anyway, something to play with in lockdown. Cheers!

Registered
I've just discovered this!

Reversing into my drive, as I have done for decades, checking the reversing cameras, mirrors and over shoulder, the car starts beeping. Nothing apparent, but the beeps
got faster and faster, then the constant tone, but nothing there, all a bit weird. Is this a trip to the dealer?

Then all of a sudden ... BANG ..... the brakes slam on! And I mean came on, jolting me in my seat!

I couldn't figure it out, there was nothing there. Tried again ..... BANG .... on come the brakes.

Then I realised, it was a chrysanthemum flower in full bloom in the wind, bending across the sensor as I reversed!

Nice to know the feature is there. 馃榾
Your experience reminded me of a similar 'brush' with a lavender plant - scared me no end!

Registered
I don't have autopark but mine has a very strong dislike of reversing straight into my garage. Slightly squiffy is usually ok. But lined up nice and straight with the middle of the opening, nope, brakes slammed on. Every. Single. Time.

I still haven't figured out what causes it. The opening is plenty width and it's the two centre sensors that light up most before the emergency stop. The only thing I can think of, bearing in mind that as soon as the back end is through the door the sensors stop being upset, is there's a tiny step about 2.5 - 3cm into the garage from outside, but surely it can't be that it's picking up on?!

Registered
My GTE is the same (without auto park).

Shunting a trailer around I didn't bother connecting the electrics. Ignored the beeping from the parking sensors, right up until the brakes slammed on. Was sure I had hit something until I got out and checked.

Registered
There is an option to turn off the automatic braking whilst slow manoeuvring for those instances where you don't want it to happen. It becomes available to turn off when the parking sensor screen comes up on the centre screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts