Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife picked up her new e-Golf last Thursday and she had an instance where the car moved forward when gear selector is in reverse. The car would have been fully booted as she was driving forward for a bit, but when selecting reverse the rear camera engaged, audible beep to acknowledge rear sensors are on, but car moved forward when pressing the accelerator pedal, narrowly missing an on-coming car. She had to turn off the ignition and restart to get it into reverse properly.

And today, this happened once again, this time a few restarts were required before the motor would engage reverse. Again this is despite the reverse camera coming on, so she did have it if R gear.

Anyone else see this before?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Suggest that this is reported directly to DVSA, see link attached.

Also the Forum Title ideally should include VW eGolf.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
DVLA. LINK

The advice on that page is to report it to the manufacturer and only report on that page if you're not happy with the way it's being handled.

I would be heading straight back to the dealer and leaving the car with them to sort it out. If they aren't taking it seriously I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My wife picked up her new e-Golf last Thursday and she had an instance where the car moved forward when gear selector is in reverse. The car would have been fully booted as she was driving forward for a bit, but when selecting reverse the rear camera engaged, audible beep to acknowledge rear sensors are on, but car moved forward when pressing the accelerator pedal, narrowly missing an on-coming car. She had to turn off the ignition and restart to get it into reverse properly.

And today, this happened once again, this time a few restarts were required before the motor would engage reverse. Again this is despite the reverse camera coming on, so she did have it if R gear.

I would phone the dealer tell them to collect the car,if its performing as you say it's not road worthy, and any incident that happened would be your fault having prior knowledge and driving the car.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Report to the manufacturer (dealer) of course.

Almost by default you will not be happy with the way the manufacturer will respond ( but give them a chance) in which case you are well within your rights to report to DVLA. If you don't report to DVLA, you are doing a public dis-service.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

It sounds faulty if not dangerous. Back to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had similar happen when manoeuvring while parking. I've gone from Drive to Reverse without the handbrake engaging, I was on a small incline and after I released the foot brake the car rolled forward, despite being in reverse. I've since learnt to make sure the auto-handbrake is engaged before switching from Drive to Reverse.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've had similar happen when manoeuvring while parking. I've gone from Drive to Reverse without the handbrake engaging, I was on a small incline and after I released the foot brake the car rolled forward, despite being in reverse. I've since learnt to make sure the auto-handbrake is engaged before switching from Drive to Reverse.
There are lots of issues around the man machine interface on modern vehicles. This appears to be an example.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If this wasn't such a serious issue, one might make a facetious comment like 'that'll be the DSG kicking in'.
(I know the e-Golf doesn't have DSG)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, guys! It's my wife's car, but I've swapped my Golf R with her today to see if I can repro the issue myself. The dealer has been mega responsive and they will actually take the car in for a check tomorrow and will give me a loaner. At first I had also thought what Elijah mentioned, that it could be the handbrake disengaging and the car rolling before the motor is moving, but she insisted that there was no incline in any of the instances where it occurred. Will give it a try today and will report back here with my findings. :confused:

Not related to this issue; has anyone found that the tailgate lever is sometimes not responsive? I'd pull up the badge to unlock and usually there is a motor-like sound and it unlocks and you pull up the tailgate, but many times it just doesn't do anything and the hatch stays locked. I know the car is unlocked, so it should just unlock and open, right? That's how it behaves on my Golf R anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,225 Posts
Was the car at full stop before trying to change gear? On the Leaf if you are not at full stop and select reverse the car will beep and not change. Similarly if you're not at a full stop and press "P" it will beep and not go into park, but go into neutral, and if you're on a slope, keep rolling!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was the car at full stop before trying to change gear? On the Leaf if you are not at full stop and select reverse the car will beep and not change. Similarly if you're not at a full stop and press "P" it will beep and not go into park, but go into neutral, and if you're on a slope, keep rolling!
Yep; she mentioned she was actually stopped fully, still in Drive and auto hold light (green P) was on. Went into Reverse, pushed the accelerator and car moved forward. I've not myself repro'd it just yet - the dealership has been extremely good and have the car at present for a check to see what might be amiss. When I hear more, will let you guys know. It's good that no one else here has witnessed anything as bizarre as this - if it is user error, I am not too proud to accept this and to learn! Better than having a brand new faulty car! 😅

1 - 16 of 16 Posts