Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Other than stuff a sock in the speaker... Not to my knowledge馃槙

Registered
Is there any way to lower the volume of reverse horn in eNiro 2020?
You can turn it off if you turn off the VESS (pedestrian warning sounds), at least you can in the UK. However it is an important safety feature which should only be turned off if you are certain there are no pedestrians to be warned. It is a particularly important safety feature for blind (and possibly partly deaf) pedestrians.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
I don鈥檛 think they get the VESS defeat button in the US, so presumably they also cannot defeat the reversing alert sounder. It must be very annoying for them! Peter.

Registered
I believe a 'reversing horn' is illegal in the UK except for very large commercial vehicles. Since Kia do sell cars in the UK they must have some means for disabling the feature so you could always ask your dealer to make that adjustment (tell them you're thinking of moving here if necessary - LHD isn't actually illegal here so they wouldn't have to do much else).

Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
I believe a 'reversing horn' is illegal in the UK except for very large commercial vehicles.
It would surprise me if a car that by default has a reverse horn activated would be homologated in the UK if it really is illegal.

Registered
It would surprise me if a car that by default has a reverse horn activated would be homologated in the UK if it really is illegal.
I agree - which is why I've suggested that the feature is likely to have been disabled for UK imports.

Maybe some UK Kia owners could comment ?

EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
Recent UK Konas have a reversing beeper which can鈥檛 be turned off (as there is no VESS button any more). Unless you physically disconnect the speaker.

One of the reasons I got rid of it.

Registered
I agree - which is why I've suggested that the feature is likely to have been disabled for UK imports.

Maybe some UK Kia owners could comment ?
But it has not been defeated on the UK variants. It鈥檚 still right in there. Wind your window down whilst reversing! The only difference AFAIK is UK can disable it with the VESS button. US can鈥檛 as it has no VESS button.

I think there may be some confusion occurring due to OP calling it a reversing Horn. I would definitely not describe it as a horn, more of a reversing sounder, dong chime or speaker. 'Two nations separated by a common language' sometimes applies methinks. Peter.

PS. Sadly, I expect the next model KIA EVs won鈥檛 be able to disable the VESS and reversing sounds either. It鈥檚 the nanny state way things are going unfortunately.

Registered
I think that the reverse warning is compusary for large vehicles but not illegal for cars, but there are time restrictions. Turn on the headlights and see if that stops it.

Registered
Is there any way to lower the volume of reverse horn in eNiro 2020?
You can turn it off if you turn off the VESS
The OP was asking if the volume could be adjusted, implying that he doesn't want to turn it off.

I am of the same opinion... I value the benefit of the reverse beeper but I consider the volume to be far too high under certain circumstances ( ie. reversing on my driveway early morning or late evening) and would welcome a facility to adjust the volume to a less irritating level.

Registered
I suppose to be any use it has to be pretty loud as the speaker is right low down at the front of the car. So make it quieter and probably wouldn鈥檛 even hear it at the rear. I like that I can silence it when appropriate. Peter.

I consider the volume to be far too high under certain circumstances ( ie. reversing on my driveway early morning or late evening)
This was my issue with it in the Kona (where it could not be turned off at all). It was just embarrassing, frankly, when arriving home late at night.

Registered
A horn or siren when reversing is illegal, the sort of beep that you get on a Kona or Niro is not a horn.

Registered
Perhaps I should refer you to 'The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986'
where it includes :-

"(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle鈥

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck; or

(b)if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act."

Always possible that 35 year old law might have been amended but it's very unusual for a document on the gov.uk website to be out of date.

Personally, I'd quite like to see them fitted on more cars but please don't call me as a defence witness if you find you need one.

Registered
"(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle鈥

(a)unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck; or

(b)if the sound of the alarm is likely to be confused with a sound emitted in the operation of a pedestrian crossing established, or having effect as if established, under Part III of the 1984 Act."
I think you may find that this regulation has been overridden in the case of electrical vehicles by the European regulation which requires all electrical vehicles travelling below 12 mph or reversing to make a pedestrian warning sound. The sound may be switched off in circumstances where the driver judges this is necessary.

Registered
I think you may find that this regulation has been overridden in the case of electrical vehicles by the European regulation which requires all electrical vehicles travelling below 12 mph or reversing to make a pedestrian warning sound. The sound may be switched off in circumstances where the driver judges this is necessary.
I hope you're right but surprised that the gov.uk page I quoted hasn't been updated to take account of that.

What date was the European regulation and was it carried forward under Brexit adjustments ?

Registered
Perhaps I should refer you to 'The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986'
Perhaps I should refer you to the text at the top of the page you referenced:
This is the original version (as it was originally made).
That is the original version of the legislation. There have been regular amendments to those regulations though not necessarily to regulat 99 which is the one in question here. There has also been more recent legislation that may not explicitly say it overrides the 1986 act but when two laws conflict the more recent takes precedence.

Anyway, on to 2017 when the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2017/1576 of 26 June 2017 amending Regulation (EU) No 540/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System requirements for vehicle EU-type approval (Text with EEA relevance) said:
(a) Sound generation method

The AVAS shall automatically generate a sound in the minimum range of vehicle speed from start up to approximately 20 km/h and during reversing. Where the vehicle is equipped with an internal combustion engine that is in operation within the vehicle speed range defined above, the AVAS shall not generate a sound.

For vehicles having a reversing sound warning device, it is not necessary for the AVAS to generate a sound whilst reversing.
2017 was more recent than 1986. AVAS must operate when reversing (unless you have an ICE).

There are of course also amendments to the 2017 legislation but I don't know of any that affect this paragraph.

An example of how hard it can be to understand all these things, in the AVAS regulations III.2.(b) says there may be a switch fitted to disable the AVAS but that ends with "In addition, the pause function shall comply with the requirements laid down in paragraph 6.2.6 of UNECE Regulation No 138." The original UNECE regulation says you can have a switch but a later amendment to that paragraph says a switch is not permitted on new vehicles after a certain date. So although the regulations appear to allow a switch in fact they don't except on vehicles that already have one.

Reactions: peterca

In essence, all new EVs now have to make some sort of noise at low speeds, including in reverse.

In drive, the noise has to be one that will make people think a car is approaching.

The reversing noise doesn鈥檛 have to be the noise it makes in drive, if it has a reverse warning sound.

So effectively, the manufacturer can choose if they want to make it sound similar in forward and reverse (like the vast majority of normal ICE cars), or they can choose to give it an annoying reversing beeper instead.

Sadly, the Kona and eNiro (I believe) have the latter. Hopefully the Ioniq 5 and the EV6 will not have beepers.

Registered
In essence, all new EVs now have to make some sort of noise at low speeds, including in reverse.

In drive, the noise has to be one that will make people think a car is approaching.

The reversing noise doesn鈥檛 have to be the noise it makes in drive, if it has a reverse warning sound.

So effectively, the manufacturer can choose if they want to make it sound similar in forward and reverse (like the vast majority of normal ICE cars), or they can choose to give it an annoying reversing beeper instead.

Sadly, the Kona and eNiro (I believe) have the latter. Hopefully the Ioniq 5 and the EV6 will not have beepers.

Yes, there are lots of restrictions on the sound made when moving forward including minimum and maximum volume and permitted frequencies. In reverse it just had to have an overall volume at least 47Db with no maximum specified. So beeper is fine but not required.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts