Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Review of The Highway Code to improve road safety for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders

Not too much new in this apart from one EV specific recommendation (not requirement - my bold/italicisastion)

When using an electric vehicle charge point you should park close to the charge point and minimise the danger to pedestrians from tripping over charging cables. After using the charge point you should return charging cables and connectors neatly to prevent creating an obstacle for other road users.
Quite a few clarifications / strengthening of requirements with respect to car responsibilities to cyclist, nothing back the other way. :devilish:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Review of The Highway Code to improve road safety for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders

Not too much new in this apart from one EV specific recommendation (not requirement - my bold/italicisastion)

Quite a few clarifications / strengthening of requirements with respect to car responsibilities to cyclist, nothing back the other way. :devilish:
That's good. Cyclists need protection from the law, including a presumption that the motorist is at fault in ANY collision between cyclists and cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just take the French Highway code for conduct around cyclists, the UK drivers would be in for an instant shock... 1+ meters clearance or risk hefty fine... and the cyclist are encouraged to keep 1 meter out from the Kirb or parked cars.
Basically you cannot pass a cyclist unless you are on the other side of the road..

·
Registered
540 Posts
In San Francisco they closed one of the busiest streets to cars - safer for cyclists, e-scooters and e-skateboarders - they all have the same road privileges--

"Shifting cars off Market Street may speed up the roughly 200 buses per hour that traverse it, according to the SFMTA, and improve Muni reliability throughout San Francisco.

The change is just the start of the $603.7 million Better Market Street project, which will transform Market Street in the coming years.

Market Street’s sidewalks will be widened to make the street safer for its 500,000 daily walkers to cross, and more street furniture will be installed. Bike lanes will be protected from traffic to keep the more than 4,000 cyclists who ride Market daily safe."

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
333 Posts
Bring on smart cruise control and autopilot,imo. Such technologies will increasingly become better at driving cars than humans. For example my kona maintains a 2 second gap to the vehicle in front ALL the time, not just when I feel like it. Also if a pedestrian pops off the pavement it recognises this quicker than I can and reacts, granted its reaction is not always perfect, but it will improve whereas humans will just get older and presumably worse.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's good. Cyclists need protection from the law, including a presumption that the motorist is at fault in ANY collision between cyclists and cars.
"The objective of Rule H1 is not to give priority to pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders in every situation, but rather to ensure a more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use that benefits all users. This does not detract from the requirement for everyone to behave responsibly."

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm thinking this bit is covering the artificial sound EVs make at low speeds?

"Rule 97 has been amended to include additional text which states that before setting off you should ensure that:
"any fitted audible warning systems for other road users, and camera and audio alert systems for drivers are all working and active (and should be used appropriately on the road).”

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking this bit is covering the artificial sound EVs make at low speeds?

"Rule 97 has been amended to include additional text which states that before setting off you should ensure that:
"any fitted audible warning systems for other road users, and camera and audio alert systems for drivers are all working and active (and should be used appropriately on the road).”
Could be. Or it could imply that you should test your horn at the start of each journey. The Devil's in the unstated detail so is meaningless. Do you have to give a full test of all of the self-driving features on a Tesla in a practical way or are the system checks sufficient?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duplicate

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
Speaking as a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver, I think you're being extremely flippant.

There are some really tragically bad cyclists around and sometimes it is the cyclist's fault when there's an incident. But there are lot more tragically bad, impatient, inconsiderate drivers around and more often than not it is the driver's fault.

That said changing the rules doesn't change anything until someone get's prosecuted. It's still illegal for cyclists to ride on footpaths, illegal for cyclists not to have reflectors or lights at night, and so many break these laws it's ridiculous. If someone who is riding at night without lights or reflectors was involved in an incident, for example, I'd have no hesitation in letting them take the full blame. If a cyclist is riding along the footpath and invites themselves across the road without looking properly and gets hit, same deal...but if a cyclist is involved in an incident because a driver is too impatient to wait for an opportunity to overtake properly, or too incapable to slow down enough for a corner to take account of potential hazards, or fails to check whether it's sensible to open their door, then I'll be right behind in support of that cyclist.

It's also still illegal to use an electric scooter except in limited circumstances in four cities, but that doesn't stop people and the police never seem to bother enforcing the law.

Reactions: rikdud
1 - 14 of 14 Posts