Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just introduced myself on introductions board. I am considering an i3 REX as one purchase option. I have seen recomendations to add DC rapid charge option, but am having difficulty envisaging a usage scenario. Wouldn't it be that you would just buy more fuel instead? (Assuming I didn't have any religious objection to doing so)

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Welcome to Speak EV!

The i3 Rex is really intended to allow you to use all of the battery range (rather than stopping to charge with 30 miles contingency in case your intended charger is unavailable which is what most would do in the BEV version). The cost per mile is very much lower running on battery (especially when public recharging is mostly free).

Your choice of including CCS charging hinges on how frequently you will be making round trips further than your all-electric range (say 80 miles) and your Rex range (say 150 miles).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Worked out that one needs to do 1.8 rapid charges a month (over 4 years) before breaking even the cost of the CCS charging option against petrol, if that helps

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
We've had our Rex for 6 months now and I'm glad we have the DC option. On holiday last month in Northumberland we charged several times on the CCS chargers there and didn't need any fuel other than the tank we started with (and used very little of that).

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Indeed. I specced DC RC on my i3, but I don't expect to get my money back, but I will drive more electric miles to avoid emissions...

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,604 Posts
I got CCS based on RCN plans hoping it would be ready by end of 2014 but not had much chance to use as sites have been down, hope Ecotricity solve this soon supposed to be all back on by Monday. Also hope get more installed and extend free use to end of 2015.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Also to consider -- it may help resale value if a purchase, and if a lease may add little cost.

I've ordered a rex and no way I'd skip on rapid charge -- for me, but then I'm used to it (leaf)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts