Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the i3 on it's first long-ish journey at the weekend, a 250 mile round trip.

In summary it worked exactly as expected. I engaged the Rex at 75% battery remaining and then just kept driving as I would normally. No problem at all cruising at 70 and plenty of power left when needed.

At times (after some particularly spirited driving) the battery would drop a couple of percent, but by the time you've slowed down to a roundabout it has regenerated enough to get back to where it originally was, so the hold really is hold. I imagine if you run the battery completely flat and attempt to hoof the car you may encounter a problem without that buffer, but we are lucky enough with the european i3 never to need to do that.

There is no problem at all in stopping and topping up with fuel - holding a battery buffer means you have plenty of range to stop whenever is convenient once it is empty or approaching empty. The tank is so small you do feel a bit daft buying £10 of petrol, but pick an empty petrol station and you are in and out with a packet of mints in no time.

Yes, you can hear the Rex when you are running it flat out, but it's not really noticeable above the other background noise. The only time you remember it is when it stops as you come to a halt and you notice the sound has gone.

All in all it just worked, no issues and the car is great fun on a long trip.

·
Banned
412 Posts
What spec did you get? Was choosing extras problematic? My Mitsu has leather and top sat nav/ radio / DVD. When I tried to get like-for-like the price just got got of hand!
I drove one last week - it's a 'class act'!:cool:

·
Banned
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What spec did you get? Was choosing extras problematic? My Mitsu has leather and top sat nav/ radio / DVD. When I tried to get like-for-like the price just got got of hand!
Can't deny that the i3 is more expensive than the iMiev, but that's true of the car market in general. It's good to have choice. It's also really hard to compare features - they never quite match up and a lot of it comes down to the details.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good stuff and very similar to my experience. I did about 550 miles over the bank holiday weekend in mine and it was so easy. I got 92 miles out of the first tank and 86 miles out of the second tank and that was with the ACC set at 70mph. This works out at 45mpg for the petrol stage of the trip which I thought was ok.

The battery range in both cases increased by 2 miles over this petrol stage i.e. the REx had no problems maintaining charge.

Total range of battery + REx was about 160 miles so I didn't even bother planning where I was going to stop, there's enough leeway to just wing it which suits me well. I'm not the type of person who enjoys that sort of thing, I read a lot of the trip stories on here and shudder :)

For the last part of my trips I left the REx to automatically turn on which it did with only about 3 miles of battery range left but there were no problems with the car maintaining 70mph with such little SoC. This meant I arrived at my destination with battery depleted i.e. minimum petrol burned.

Now that I've got a few longer trips under my belt I don't think I'd have any problem driving anywhere in the UK.

·
Registered
353 Posts
and yes, I realise most here will read about 'burning petrol' and shudder but, like Fenlander says... it's good to have choice.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
and yes, I realise most here will read about 'burning petrol' and shudder but, like Fenlander says... it's good to have choice.
If you want a car that can do longer trips easily then burning some petrol is a reasonable compromise today. I'm sure we all want to be driving pure BEV and in five years when range is affordable that's what we will do :)

By way of comparison it's worth looking at Nikki's proposed trip to Stuttgart in a Gen 1 Leaf... it's a multi-day exercise beginning with a 369 mile first day with 9 charging stops;

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2746275&code=a49c2c9da95bddfe4aebee9bf428fca7

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If you want a car that can do longer trips easily then burning some petrol is a reasonable compromise today. I'm sure we all want to be driving pure BEV and in five years when range is affordable that's what we will do :)
Exactly, the EREV/Rex is the no-compromise steppingstone to pure EV. It's the reason why I went with an Ampera, though I would love 100 mile range and the rapid charging of the i3 though! - I am willing to swap to pure EV when 300 miles is available, unfortunately at the moment the Tesla S is just outside my price band, maybe a second hand one in a few years though...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Agreed it is good to have choice. And the rex solution does result in massively less pollution than an ice car.

My personal experience is that the Leaf gives no compromise to me for longer journeys where I would choose to stop regularly. And the existing behaviour of ev drivers who do do long journeys helps justify and motivate the development of longer range ev's.

But each to their own. Have seen that the i3 is also attracting owners otherwise not interested in ev's....which is fantastic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the i3 is pretty well specced considering how parsimonious BMW can be with their base spec. I've got an i3 with no options (save the Rex). It comes as standard with satnav, parking sensors, climate control, cruise, bluetooth (phone and music streaming) 19inch alloys, auto lights, auto wipers, LED headlights, comfort access. All things you would probably have to pay extra for in a 3 series. The only thing I really miss is heated seats...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took the i3 on it's first long-ish journey at the weekend, a 250 mile round trip.

In summary it worked exactly as expected. I engaged the Rex at 75% battery remaining and then just kept driving as I would normally. No problem at all cruising at 70 and plenty of power left when needed.

At times (after some particularly spirited driving) the battery would drop a couple of percent, but by the time you've slowed down to a roundabout it has regenerated enough to get back to where it originally was, so the hold really is hold. I imagine if you run the battery completely flat and attempt to hoof the car you may encounter a problem without that buffer, but we are lucky enough with the european i3 never to need to do that.

There is no problem at all in stopping and topping up with fuel - holding a battery buffer means you have plenty of range to stop whenever is convenient once it is empty or approaching empty. The tank is so small you do feel a bit daft buying £10 of petrol, but pick an empty petrol station and you are in and out with a packet of mints in no time.

Yes, you can hear the Rex when you are running it flat out, but it's not really noticeable above the other background noise. The only time you remember it is when it stops as you come to a halt and you notice the sound has gone.

Hi, I'd agree with your experience. I've completed a number of long journeys and found that motorway driving does burn through your charge quite quickly. However, if you 'Hold State of Charge' when and don't allow your available miles to go into single digits the REX will do its job extremely well.
I've only had one poor experience with the REX and it was my own fault, I went to Ipswich and thought I could charge at the clients office, it wasn't possible so the REX had to work overtime on the way home. As I only had 7 miles of charge left the i3 maintained a slow speed (i.e. 50mph) until the REX had go the battery charge up.
With regards to fuelling, yes you do feel silly topping up with £10, so my solution is to keep a jerry can at home (I know some will disagree but it works for me!).

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,599 Posts
Good trip stories look forward to mine, as for petrol I will just use Pay at Pump simples and all the other impatient drivers will think he was quick so might not be as grumpy ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts