Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading on Facebook, it seems that there are a number of us who have had fuel flap failure. Mine will not open & a strange message about 25% or 75% full being required appears on the dash.
Anyway has anyone had this problem & had it fixed? What was it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Reading on Facebook, it seems that there are a number of us who have had fuel flap failure. Mine will not open & a strange message about 25% or 75% full being required appears on the dash.
Anyway has anyone had this problem & had it fixed? What was it?

I suffered this problem this week, after a long period of using the Rex I couldn't open the petrol flap to refuel.
I had less than 25% fuel in the tank and the same message on the dash saying 'refuelling possible'
The flap released when I pressed the button but wouldn't unlatch. The forecourt was quite noisey so I couldn't hear if the tank depressurised.
I wasn't far from home, so I gave up went home & plugged in.
The following day after everything had cooled down I tried the button again and the tank depressurised and opened no problems.

The car has just had its 2 year service so I cba to take it back to the dealership. But with my Rex usage I've probably got another 10k miles before I need to worry about it again.

I put it down to the engine/tank/system being warm and it not wanting to depressurise?

·
Registered
429 Posts
if you ever need/want to force it open just give it a gentel push in the top right corner of the flap, about 1 inch in.

in my car about 50% of the time it wont open up even if it says refuelling ready and this always works.

·
Banned
511 Posts
Just a thought. The pin that locks the cap down is a plastic (presumably nylon) rod that passes through a plastic hole. The lubrication dries out and any off centre of the pin makes it sluggish to retract or even jam . An occasional spray of silicon lube or dry lube (PTFE or Silicone) will keep this part working well, and presumably the fuel cap works on the same system....it also keeps the movement of the door mirrors nice and smooth, when sprayed where they pivot.

It's a regular part (every 3 months) of my own little maintenance routine with the car.

If you can't see the pin, simply spray the hole or vice versa.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, this happened to my Rex, just after it had its two year service. The dealer denied all knowledge of a problem, but with nagging from us following our own fault finding tests, they eventually admitted that re-calibration of the fuel tank pressure would correct it. We took the car in and in just a few minutes it had been reset and it has not been a problem since. So take it back to your service dealer for the fuel tank to be re-calibrated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But it could also be due to a hole in the tank vent pipe due to rubbing on the battery cable. There is a recall on this problem now.

·
9,719 Posts
But it could also be due to a hole in the tank vent pipe due to rubbing on the battery cable. There is a recall on this problem now.
That recall is nothing related to that - its a pre-emptive fix for something that might be a problem but has never been seen in the wild.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That recall is nothing related to that - its a pre-emptive fix for something that might be a problem but has never been seen in the wild.
My dealer tells me that the recall is necessary to prevent the power cable and the fuel tank vent pipe from rubbing and rupturing the fuel tank vent pipe. My car has a hole in the fuel vent pipe caused by the rubbing. Due to the hole, my tank pressure is not maintained and has affected the tank pressure sensor calibration as pressure is no longer held. This fault has prevented my fuel filler flap from operating correctly.

The dealer will not give me my car back due to safety concerns that the fuel vapour may ignite. I am now driving a loan car until parts become available from Germany. No date has been given as to when this might be.

Therefore I must disagree with you on two points. Firstly that the problem IS related, and secondly that the problem HAS been seen.

However, a faulty fuel flap has several causes, and a punctured fuel vent pipe is just one of them.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My dealer tells me that the recall is necessary to prevent the power cable and the fuel tank vent pipe from rubbing and rupturing the fuel tank vent pipe. My car has a hole in the fuel vent pipe caused by the rubbing. Due to the hole, my tank pressure is not maintained and has affected the tank pressure sensor calibration as pressure is no longer held. This fault has prevented my fuel filler flap from operating correctly.

The dealer will not give me my car back due to safety concerns that the fuel vapour may ignite. I am now driving a loan car until parts become available from Germany. No date has been given as to when this might be.

Therefore I must disagree with you on two points. Firstly that the problem IS related, and secondly that the problem HAS been seen.

However, a faulty fuel flap has several causes, and a punctured fuel vent pipe is just one of them.
Strangely enough I know venting fuel into a zone where it was not designed to be vented sounds dangerous, especially where electrical cabling is involved. However, I would like to know what makes them consider it may ignite??. Fuel vapours can only ignite without a spark if they are elevated above their "Auto-ignition" temperature, which is extremely hot indeed. For example, if you are driving a jet black car in the summer, in very hot sun you wont have to worry that it would ignite the fumes from the filler pump nozzle at the petrol station when its right next to your hot car. I would worry if there is a potential "flash point", which is where fuel vapours can ignite in quite cool conditions but only where there is a spark (ignition source) present. If the cable is insulated and acting normally the potential for an explosion is probably negligible. Of course I quite agree it has to be fixed but it sounds more scary than it probably is. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Add me to the list. Got to 75% and 25%, so I gave up trying to open on the forecourt.
Only a month or so after its two year service, so I'm sure they checked this...or not ;)
I managed to open with the manual release when I got home, but the button doesn't work, so back to dealer for me I guess...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Add me to the list. Got to 75% and 25%, so I gave up trying to open on the forecourt.
Only a month or so after its two year service, so I'm sure they checked this...or not ;)
I managed to open with the manual release when I got home, but the button doesn't work, so back to dealer for me I guess...
When I took my old 60Ah REx in for this repair about 13 months ago, I was told that the sensor build material had been changed to eliminate future problems of this type.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just as I was about to call the dealer yesterday I thought I'd give it one more try...of course it opened fine.
Having failed to open even after doing a manual release on Wednesday evening.
I had been running the Rex just before going to the petrol station and was trying at home about 10 minutes later. Fuel level is about 25%.
Lovely intermittent fault time...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just had my sensor replaced under warranty. Went less than a week before warranty was up. Interestingly, it still functioned when part full or full. Only when the tank was empty would it refuse to open.

Worth trying if you are approaching end of warranty period I guess.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Just had my sensor replaced under warranty. Went less than a week before warranty was up. Interestingly, it still functioned when part full or full. Only when the tank was empty would it refuse to open.

Worth trying if you are approaching end of warranty period I guess.
Bizarre - the same thing happened on my old REx. I had to hunt around to find a dealer that was prepared to look at the problem in the few warranty days remaining.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most likely fuel pressure sensor. You can manually open using green pull tab next to windscreen washer bottle.
I thought this when I had the same issue. For a few months I used the dreaded green string quite a lot (actually every time I needed to refuel LOL). When I mentioned it, they "recalibrated" something at the dealer and it now works perfectly. As far as I know I did not have a new pressure sensor fitted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this issue. BMW said that "the servo drive to release the flap" was faulty. They replaced the flap when repairing under warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts