Registered
1,338 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am managing to get 94 miles across country before the REX starts. Unfortunately my sister in law is 125 miles away and the only charge point at an appropriate distance is at a horrible Little Chef..... SO I have used about 10 litres of fuel in 3000 miles... Still happy & trying to use it as our only car.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I am managing to get 94 miles across country before the REX starts. Unfortunately my sister in law is 125 miles away and the only charge point at an appropriate distance is at a horrible Little Chef..... SO I have used about 10 litres of fuel in 3000 miles... Still happy & trying to use it as our only car.
Welcome to Speak EV. :)

Those are really encouraging figures, do you have to drive in any way "out of the ordinary" to get 94 miles from the battery or is it just regular road speeds?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I run in EcoPro, do 60mph on dual carriageways & coast as much as I can, so no I don't think I have to do anything particularly out of the ordinary... The REX is essential to keep me relaxed as the battery drains as I meander across country.:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Any input from other REX drivers as to EV range before REX starts; 94 seems the highest but @Andy what are you getting?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Any input from other REX drivers as to EV range before REX starts; 94 seems the highest but @Andy what are you getting?
Hi Grant,

I'm afraid I haven't done better than 84 electric miles before the REx fired up but all of the long journeys requiring REx that I've done so far have been up the A1 and I'm a bit too impatient to sit at slow speeds so that's been with 70mph set on the cruise. I'm not the best advert for the i3 :rolleyes:

The biggest number I've seen on the range predictor is 102 miles but that probably doesn't mean much.

There are some guys on the i3 forum who have posted some bigger ranges. A Dutch guy (username Lecram) has done 116 miles before his Rex came on and a guy from Germany (fd11409) is consistently posting similar mileages. There are also quite a few Americans in the i3 facebook group who have done well over 100 miles but I have the feeling their average speeds are very low although I admit I've got a lot to learn about driving an EV efficiently so maybe not.

Are you looking to make a change from your LEAF or just keeping an eye on things?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Grant,

I'm afraid I haven't done better than 84 electric miles before the REx fired up but all of the long journeys requiring REx that I've done so far have been up the A1 and I'm a bit too impatient to sit at slow speeds so that's been with 70mph set on the cruise. I'm not the best advert for the i3 :rolleyes:

The biggest number I've seen on the range predictor is 102 miles but that probably doesn't mean much.

There are some guys on the i3 forum who have posted some bigger ranges. A Dutch guy (username Lecram) has done 116 miles before his Rex came on and a guy from Germany (fd11409) is consistently posting similar mileages. There are also quite a few Americans in the i3 facebook group who have done well over 100 miles but I have the feeling their average speeds are very low although I admit I've got a lot to learn about driving an EV efficiently so maybe not.

Are you looking to make a change from your LEAF or just keeping an eye on things?
My Mk1 2012 is on 3 year lease and is up next August; current i3 lead time circa 6 months. Let's be clear; I LOVE the LEAF and if the 2015 model had the upgraded battery I'd be getting that; but the 150 mile LEAF is not out to 2016...

In the winter my Mk1 LEAF with heating, demist, motorway driving, wipers is good for just over 50 miles; my OH will not drive it in the winter as with any M27 Motorway incident and she is stuck in a jam getting home can get tight (40 mile round trip). I'm not looking forward to a 3rd winter in a Mk1 Nissan LEAF. I do like the Mk2 Nissan LEAF and the heat exchanger and 6.6kw charging are HUGE improvements; but I see the BMW i3 REX as the way to drive all 100% of the battery with a backup, that is not a flat bed truck. Infrastructure is also MASSIVELY improved in the past 12 months but with many locations only single Rapid chargers you still stand the risk of a failure, or waiting in line, and then there is the mess of Chargemaster pricing and the newly commissioned Council Rapid Chargers with PAYG Rapid Charging making it more expensive than driving petrol......

I am looking at the i3 REX as a 2 year proposition to 2017; I've had the BMW i3 BEV version in March (Video below), and I will be getting the BMW i3 REX for the August Bank Holiday weekend in a couple of weeks....

I did get used the 1 pedal driving by the end of the 48 hour test drive and there were things I liked and did not like but what I don't want to is take a car for 3 years only the technology to leap ahead and me itching to get rid of the current car (like today).

Lots of rumours on the internet grapevine at the moment so I may sit tight for a number of months; for instance... if Nissan UK matches the NissanUS recent move and keeps all rapid charging free (inc ecotricity chargers) and if they do bring out a 150 mile battery in 2016...then that would be keep me in a LEAF. But at the sometime if public rapid chargers do become chargeable, and the infrastructure gets overloaded or does not scale up then REX is a superb insurance policy to get home.

Mine is a company car and with BIK Comp Car Tax becoming chargeable, and then escalating, from April 2015 this will be a financial decision. And again, there are rumours about the Gov splitting out zero emissions for a preferential rate vs the sub 75 CO2 bucket right now for all EVs, PHEVs etc

Interesting times.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
2500 miles used the Rex for 10 miles.
[Without any sarcasm intended] Was it worth spending the extra £3K for those 10 miles? (Less than 0.5%)
If you're managing to use it that little (a good thing), with 2500 miles hindsight would you have still bought the Rex version rather than the BEV version?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well I think it is for the lack of anxiety/ convenience. Today I did 80miles around the area in places I knew I could not charge - and the car started with 77miles of notional range, but I did not get anxious or concerned, I just drove. I had 10 miles left at the end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts