Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd question! Why are these cards mentioned when charging at certain locations? Why are they needed, and what are they?
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MCW. So does that mean they are more reliable than an app, less fiddly at certain locations, or do some companies demand them, and others won't take them at all?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,821 Posts
Thanks MCW. So does that mean they are more reliable than an app, less fiddly at certain locations, or do some companies demand them, and others won't take them at all?
Unlike an app, they don't need a phone signal to work, only a functioning chargepoint.
Some networks don't use them.
Some do, but have made them optional.
Some will let you register any RFID card with their network (even a competitors one, or your work access fob!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Wonko
Would you say that a RFID would be worth having as a standby and a back up in the UK? Do they cost a lot?
Regards
Robert

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Would you say that a RFID would be worth having as a standby and a back up in the UK? Do they cost a lot?
Regards
Robert
That depends on your needs. Will you be charging at public chargers a lot? Will you mainly be using one specific charging network and do they offer RFID cards?

Using Polar as an example, you can only get a RFID card if you subscribe to their plus membership. That generally only makes sense if you are going to be charging with Polar at least a handful of times per month. If you’re not going to be a regular customer then you’d be better off using the Polar instant app.

Some other networks are a little fairer. Electric Blue charge a one off £10 fee for a card then the same pay as you go usage rates as you would have with the app, and no subscriptions or minimum spends.

I suggest you look on Zap Map along your routes you’ll be driving and see what networks operate their chargers. See if there’s one specific company you could do most/all your charging with and look to see what sort of RFID offerings they have to decide if it’s worthwhile.

For me personally, if I can go RFID, I will opt for such a method over using an app any day.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When I had my first EV, 2 years ago, I wanted to do a day trip to Dorset, specifically Weymouth and at this time the only destination charger in this area was a CYC. So I acquired one of their RFID cards at a subscription rate of £20 a year, a 1 hour charge was £4 which was reasonable, but I didn't go that often to justify the £20. Since then things have improved a lot and there is an INSTAVOLT near by and just use my Debit Card, so I have cancelled my subscription.

I have a Genie Point RFID card which I acquired for a one off payment of £9 and is well worth getting although I only use it several times a year it does make things easier especially in remote area where mobile reception is poor.

Apart from that I have APP's for ECO TRICITY and POD POINT which are a bit fiddley but always work and rarely let you down.

Never used POLAR as I don't want to pay the monthly subscription as I do most of my charging at home, There is a POLAR INSTANT APP but have been able to get it to work, The cynical side of me thinks that they don't want it to work so that you have to take out the monthly subscription.

My charger of choice are:
1. POD POINT at LIDL's (23P a Kw) (APP Required)
2. INSTAVOLT (Very reliable and there are a good spread of them out there now - Debit Card - 35P a Kw)
3. ECO TRICITY Electric Highway ( Located at most motorway service stations always found them reliable with CHAdeMO but not with CCS - APP required - 39P a Kw)
4. GENIE POINT - (reliable in high usage areas but can be down for long periods in remote areas and can be very slow in delivery of the Kw's - RFID card or the APP - Usually a connect charge of £1 then 30P a Kw so best to have an empty battery to get money's worth)

My spare CYC RFID I am going register free with ENGIE as there chargers are popping up all over the place now and own GENIE POINT.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There is a POLAR INSTANT APP but have NEVER been able to get it to work, The cynical side of me thinks that they don't want it to work so that you have to take out the monthly subscription.

Is what I meant to say - don't seem to be able to edit any more.

Also was going to say that PlugShare is good as well as ZAP MAP.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks for above - it's prompted me to log onto my CYC account and cancel the auto-renewal. It's been almost a year since I last used the card, so it would be pointless to waste £20.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
There is a POLAR INSTANT APP but have NEVER been able to get it to work, The cynical side of me thinks that they don't want it to work so that you have to take out the monthly subscription.

Is what I meant to say - don't seem to be able to edit any more.

Also was going to say that PlugShare is good as well as ZAP MAP.
Re editing: did you click on the three dots at the top right of your post? The Polar Instant app works perfectly, and gives you access to pretty much the cheapest charging rates around. Did you update to the new app? The old one won't update automatically - you have to uninstall it and download the latest version from the Play Store.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
. . . The Polar Instant app works perfectly, and gives you access to pretty much the cheapest charging rates around. . .
Surely the Polar Instant rates from the app are dearer than the PolarPlus rates from the RFID card you get with a subscription - though unless you're going to use it a lot, the subscription package saving probably isn't worth it.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Re editing: did you click on the three dots at the top right of your post? The Polar Instant app works perfectly, and gives you access to pretty much the cheapest charging rates around. Did you update to the new app? The old one won't update automatically - you have to uninstall it and download the latest version from the Play Store.
Hi Jeff, I'm with @GOSPORT DAVE here. I've tried several times to use the app and never got it to work. Every time I've tried to use it, it keeps loading and loading and loading, well you can see what I mean. I've never got it to fully load. I've reinstalled the app and it still wouldn't load. I hear that what it's trying to do is load all the chargers in it's database, not just the ones near you. :eek:o_O

Reactions: GOSPORT DAVE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Dave and others,
Thanks so much for this information. I now have Zapmap on phone. I must say that there seem to be an awful lot of charging points that have problems with either a connection lead damaged or something else. Is this usual or is the COVID thing meaning they are not being serviced?
I live in East Sussex about a charge away from you Dave. I visit Budleigh Salterton from time to time. I have a podpoint fitted at home and I have now got the app and put a tenner on it. I will at some point venture forth to my Daughter on the Wirral which by the look of it suggests motorways and I have a Shell card coming which hopefully will be OK for long-distance.
I am in my late 70's and will have to have a few trial runs as I don't find app's and things easy to operate.
Many thanks to you all.
Rober

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Using Polar as an example, you can only get a RFID card if you subscribe to their plus membership. That generally only makes sense if you are going to be charging with Polar at least a handful of times per month. If you’re not going to be a regular customer then you’d be better off using the Polar instant app.
OVO do their EV charging rate which includes the Polar subscription (worth £94.20 a year). I had it for 2 years, but got fed up of their rubbish customer services (OVO not Polar). Was very handy though as most of their destination chargers are free with the subscription and the rapids are cheaper with the card.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Surely the Polar Instant rates from the app are dearer than the PolarPlus rates from the RFID card you get with a subscription - though unless you're going to use it a lot, the subscription package saving probably isn't worth it.
I wasn't comparing Polar Instant rates with Polar Plus rates. I was comparing Polar Instant with other providers. 25p/kWh is a lot cheaper than much of the competition (Ecotricity, Instavolt etc.), though PodPoint at 23p/kWh just pips it. PolarPlus subscription is just not ecomically viable unless you use them regularly.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I've never got it to fully load.
I will qualify this. I did get it to load at home with an 8 Mb router before trying near a charger. Never stood a chance in the wild. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts