Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't specific to EVs but this is the only car forum website I'm subscribed too.

I bought a couple of RFID blocking pouches for my Nissan Leaf key fob from Amazon (here) which worked fine initially but I've just realised that they no longer block the signal. I was reading the Amazon reviews of the same product and it turns out that many other people have said the same thing. Seems this particular RFID blocking pouch will lose it's ability to block after some period of time. Some people reporting that it happens within a few months. I'm not keen to get another cheap pouch if it's just going to stop working after such a short period of time.

What do other people do? Any pouches that are far more reliable?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,676 Posts
Why would you buy anything? A simple metal box will do well enough. Mine is a surplus from a purchase of eau-de-toilette.

I'm quite surprised that a material will loose it's shielding somehow?!?!? Did you test this? How?

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I’ve had this on pouches before, after a while in use the stitching causes the rfid shielding material to fray and it loses its effectiveness.

I picked one apart after I noticed that it still unlocked the boot when I pulled the handle even though the key was in the pouch in my pocket, and it had perished/frayed between the inner and outer layers.

I don’t actually bother with one now, it removed some of the convenience of keyless entry having to faff getting the key out of my pocket and out of the pouch, and I don’t think my current car is susceptible to relay attacks anyway.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Snake oil, plus no one is stealing a leaf, if they are determined they are coming in the house anyway, knife point wake up for keys, I’d rather they just take the car, that’s why we have insurance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts