Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often (but not always) when I go into a supermarket I trigger the alarms at the entrance/exit doors. This I have traced to the collection of RFID cards in my wallet, which I am willing to demonstrate if asked to any security guards.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
I set them off as well. I just ignore the noise and somehow nobody ever bothers to do anything.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
Oh wow. I think you may just answered my ongoing mystery that has been driving me crazy for YEARS now!
I Need to try leaving the RFID Cards in the car and then go in a few stores and see if it stops. I've been regularly triggering the alarms in most places for ages and couldn't get to the bottom of it.

I Think it's time for me to take a trip to Sainsburys later on. I have always set theirs off without fail. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Never had the problem, Given that almost every bank card these days tends to have RFID, they'd be going off all the time. Their problem, not mine.
The stash of old RFID cards for the car stays in the car. I think in the last year, I've used just two of my collection. No need to weigh my main wallet down with all the chaff.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
157 Posts
I wonder if there’s a particular RFID you share in common which holds a similarity to the anti-theft tags. Wonder if the sainsburys security guard would let you try throwing them through one at a time :ROFLMAO:

Can’t say I’ve set any off with my CYC, Polar and ChargePoint cards. I also have an RFID on my keys to get in to the gym.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Often (but not always) when I go into a supermarket I trigger the alarms at the entrance/exit doors. This I have traced to the collection of RFID cards in my wallet, which I am willing to demonstrate if asked to any security guards.

Absolutely. It took me a couple of trips to the supermarket with the Zoe before I twigged why the guards were suddenly taking an interest in me after years of them not caring. The solution was a Faraday key pouch, which also solved the problem of the car potentially being nicked by someone remotely activating the keyfob at night while the fob is in the drawer by the front door.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since starting this thread, the 'Recommended Reading' at the bottom has highlighted two previous threads on the same subject:
Charging rfid cards & shop security alarms and

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since starting this thread, the 'Recommended Reading' at the bottom has highlighted two previous threads on the same subject:
Charging rfid cards & shop security alarms and
Fold up a sheet of aluminum foil and put it in the back of your wallet so when you close the wallet the foil is round the outside of any RFID cards. It also protects from anyone trying to read your bank cards (also RFID) with a handheld reader or an RFID/NFC app on a phone. You can also use the same app to check that your RFID cards can't be read from outside the wallet protected with the foil. Tom Clancy - I'm not worried that I'm paranoid. I'm worried that I'm not paranoid enough.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
I'm back from Sainsburys and I think the second thread you referenced is onto something. Security guard waved me through on the way in when I beeped but I told him about my theory about my cards and he let me have a play and experiment.

I'm pleased to say that the RFID Cards are the cause so I now know to leave them in the car and can avoid triggering these alarm sensors in future. Interestingly though, it was only certain combinations of cards.

For me, that was the Ecotricity and Electric Blue RFID Cards together. These cards on their own don't trigger it, nor do other combinations of cards. But the two of them together would do it every time. Even if they were each at opposite ends of the card stack.

I Can't imagine the Ecotricity card being useful for much longer anyways, but until Gridserve have ripped out everything Ecotricity branded, just leaving them in the car seems to be a good solution for me.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
Happens to me all the time too, and yeah I have a bunch of RFIDs

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had it with my local Tesco for years - virtually every time
Several contactless cards in my wallet.

I just ignore the wailing/beeping from the security sytem now and either a security gard will chase after me on exit or it gets ignored totally.
When I'm feeling helpful if I trigger it as I walk IN just as someone is walking OUT I shout out to the hapless security that it's me that's triggered it as they are about to race after an innocent shopper walking out.

When I'm stopped on exit I just say watch this, put my wallet on the floor and then walk back and fro with the trolley to prove that it's the wallet with the cards in it that is doing it.

Different scenario was a london museum having an enhanced secutiy day. empty cash and keys etc walk though detector - off it goes. Take jacket off, walk though detector - no problem. Security takes my jacket and put it though detector no problem. I put jacket back on and walk though detector and off it goes again.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

I had exactly that problem. Almost every time I went in or out of the supermarket the alarm would go off. Eventually one of the security guards stopped me and asked if I had all my credit cards together in the same part of my wallet. I shuffled them round a bit and have never had a problem since. Just split them up so they aren't all pressed together.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,184 Posts
I've never had this problem, but then I still use the shielded wallet I bought when contactless credit cards came out.
Also, I only have 2 charging cards which remain in the car - A Shell fob I got before the car, and an Octopus Electric Juice card.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts