Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we are getting ready for EV ownership - I’m making sure I have accounts across several different companies.
For some - you can buy an RFID card - appears that you don’t need to buy one. Question - what are the benefits? It is purely in case your mobile has no signal/battery?

Thanks.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
CYC/Chargeplace Scotland as above is one network I'd consider essential that you have a RFID Card for. As well as the above reason, some of their old abandoned chargers aren't accessible by app anymore as their connection has been switched off, but they may still work just fine using a card.

Generally apps are unreliable and aren't as simple as using a RFID card or fob. Any networks you regularly will be using it's well worth getting cards for, where available.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bottom line for me was the fact that for £20 quid a year with Chargeplace Scotland (the cost of RFID card) you know 100% that if the charger is working you can charge, full stop. 👍

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
116 Posts
As we are getting ready for EV ownership - I’m making sure I have accounts across several different companies.
For some - you can buy an RFID card - appears that you don’t need to buy one. Question - what are the benefits? It is purely in case your mobile has no signal/battery?

Thanks.
If its Polar Plus, you get cheaper rates wth the RFID card (though you pay a monthly fee £7.85 for the privilege) - depends what your charging needs will be as to which s cheaper.

Polar plus is £7.85 per month + 12p for fast chargers and 15p (or 20.4p for 150 kwh) for rapids. Some fast chargers are free to use with Polar Plus (Waitrose)

With no card you have to rely on Polar Instant app (and signal strength etc) and pay 18p for fast chargers and 30p-40p for rapid chargers.

I think the main benefit though is peace of mind knowing you will be able to charge.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
178 Posts
I now use both for Engie Network and GeniePoint altho the RFID cards are just my bank cards. I think Engie did it when my phone signal was a bit flaky at one of the Engie chargers (tucked in the bottom corner of some Hospital buildings) and GeniePoint did it to get me out of a pickle in the Lakes. I've also found them (they're the same company altho the networks are kept separate) to be quick to answer the phones on the odd occasions I've had to get them to remotely start the charger. So, yes if I knew I was going to be relying on certain networks then I'd have both options set up if poss.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
299 Posts
A bonus of the CYC/Chargeplace Scotland card is the orphaned chargers often don’t cost anything to use. That seems to be the case with my closest rapid. It’s getting quite popular for some reason.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sometimes chargers can be sited in really strange places, like on the ground floor of a concrete multi story car park.
Good luck trying to get a phone signal in THEM type of places :eek:.
For a new owner, I would suggest collecting any number of RFID cards.
If the provider are willing to either offer one for free, or at a low priced "One Off" payment, then send for them is my advice.
The card you don't have, is likely to be the charger you are sitting at on a cold wet night at the weekend ( when the customer services department are closed ) in the middle of winter.
Prior to receiving my EV - I purposely purchased a small wallet that would only except cards, with NO capacity for carrying cash.
I only keep my RFID cards inside this wallet and it is hidden inside of the car at all times.
My everyday wallet I keep on my person, this contains my plethora of plastic bank / loyalty cards for shopping etc.
Oh ....... and a little bit of that old fashion stuff that some people call "Money" ?:ROFLMAO:.
I personally believe it is not a good idea to be flashing / faffing around in your congested personal wallet, trying in vain to root around for that RFID card while at a remote charging facility !.
If you have a bank card that can double up as your RFID charging card, then great.
But you just don't know WHO the hell is watching you fiddling around in your wallet.
If you are not using your charging card on a regular basis, then it's NEVER in the same place as your left it on the last occasion that you used it ?.
Finding yourself turning to either your wife / partner ( who clearly has that bored and frustrated look on her face ) and then uttering these foolish words :-
"Have you seen my charging card by any chance ?".
After a small pause, then followed by a LOT of slow shaking of the head from side to side.
I will not repeat the reply I would be likely receive to THAT type of question :censored:.
Phew - you eventually find the "said" card ( after spilling the rest of the contents of your wallet all over the floor of the car park ).
Of course it was in the bowels of the wallet, somewhere between your Costa coffee or local Gardening Centre rewards points card ( which you rarely use ) or even your bloody bus pass.
What the hell is that all about - more plastic in that wallet than Hong Kong !.
Having ALL of your RFID charging cards stored in a separate single wallet, just feels a little safer somehow ?.
Works for me anyway ;).
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts