Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know some of the companies give you the choice of key fob or card.

I just keep mine with my bank cards etc. I’ve never had any issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sticking my key in a tin as the car will not fully lock unless I put my keys at the far side of the house away from the front window where my car is usually parked

·
Registered
158 Posts
You have me confused.

The car does not unlock automatically as you approach. You need to be near it and have the key on you or nearby.

Press lock and walk away and car will be locked. Sure if you want to test it’s locked the keys will need to be out of range. But the car is locked if you press lock on handle or fob.

I may have seen what you’re getting at now: a stranger could come up and unlock the car if your keys are in range in the house? They shouldn’t be able to drive away though as won’t work when out of range??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boot hatch stays unlocked if my key is not in the tin and unlocks when I'm within 5-10m away if the key is not in the tin, the car itself stays locked

·
Registered
158 Posts
You’ve got me curious now lol. I think mine is car enough away...

Wonder if the boot is a setting issue?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The boot hatch stays unlocked if my key is not in the tin and unlocks when I'm within 5-10m away if the key is not in the tin, the car itself stays locked
When locking the car and want to check that the boot is locked just hold the fob at arm's length away from the car and you will find that it is locked,if you are too close the boot will unlock when you pull on the MG badge.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I purchased a couple of RFID key holders on-line (sorry, cant find the exact ones again on-line). In the last couple of weeks, the car can still be locked and unlocked with the key in the RFID pouch. This did not happen in the previous three months of ownership where the RFID pouch worked as expected and blocked the signal from the key.

Do RFID pouches eventually loose their effectiveness (i.e. the material breaks down over time allowing signal to pass through)?

Maybe thats why I cant find the same RFID pouches on line any more! :unsure:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I purchased a couple of RFID key holders on-line (sorry, cant find the exact ones again on-line). In the last couple of weeks, the car can still be locked and unlocked with the key in the RFID pouch. This did not happen in the previous three months of ownership where the RFID pouch worked as expected and blocked the signal from the key.

Do RFID pouches eventually loose their effectiveness (i.e. the material breaks down over time allowing signal to pass through)?

Maybe thats why I cant find the same RFID pouches on line any more! :unsure:
I experimented wrapping my key fob in baking foil yesterday.I used it doubled over and stood next to the car and it wouldn't open.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
A lot of people have been tripped up because when they arrive home, they put there keys on a table or window shelf close to their entrance door.
This can put the keys in close enough range, so the car can still be opened or grabbed by a scanner.
Other reports of keys being hooked through the letter box with a long length of wire !.
Just get into the habit of putting your keys in a safe place every night.
Ensure that there is enough distance between the car and the keys and they are out of hidden out of sight.
Choice a place and stick with it.
This also saves time in the morning searching for your keys.
You know the words :-
“Has anybody seen my car keys, I put them here”.
Find a safe place, go out to the car.
Can you open it with the button on the door, or open the boot ?.
NO - Your sorted !.
Just get into a routine every time, that’s all it needs folks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I keep my keys indoors in a steel butterdish I purchased from the hardware store. Any magnetic metal is best for RFID screening. The thicker the better. My butter dish holds a couple sets of car keys and cost about a fiver. Many of the commercial Solutions use aluminum foil which offers only limited screening and they charge much more than my butter dish.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
194 Posts
It's quite ridiculous how far away the keys work from and is asking for trouble. The RFID blocking pouches rarely last either. The corners/edges/folds leak eventually even if they work when new.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,876 Posts
We've got ours from Aldi and they don't work at all. The key in car alarm still beeps. :(

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,644 Posts
How about buying a car with a key fob that has buttons?

The only recent review with such a quaint old-fashioned arrangement was an E-Up.

Maybe they will introduce an extra cost option to have the old locking system!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
How about buying a car with a key fob that has buttons?

The only recent review with such a quaint old-fashioned arrangement was an E-Up.

Maybe they will introduce an extra cost option to have the old locking system!
It does have buttons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the demise of exhaust pipes rusting, oil changes, brake pad renewal, etc. it's almost deliberate that almost all EVs have keyless entry so that it can easily be stolen, which in turn creates more sales. Planned obsolescence in stealth if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts