Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I don't like keyless entry .. but I have got used to keyless ignition worryingly quickly ...
I have the same opinion on that score.
Not completely comfortable with the whole keyless thing !.
But this is the second car I have owed in succession that has it !.
It now feels proper “Old School” having to use the blade of a key in the ignition lock of my wife’s car.
Funny how you only notice the absence of these things when they are removed.
The car I owed two cars before my latest car, had a factory fitted sun roof.
It was a nice feature that I quickly accepted as part of the car.
The car before last, did NOT have the sun roof installed, I missed it almost straight away.
The inside of the car ( same model ) had a completely different feeling with out the sun roof.
I felt a lot smaller inside and a little oppressive to start with.
Having the full pano sky roof in the ZS EV Exclusive is brilliant.
If I had to trade the keyless entry for the Sky Roof, no problem !.
The roof wins every time.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I turned off the keyless entry and went back to using the buttons. That lasted all of 24 hours until I got back to the bar carrying a box and had to fish about in my waterproof/fleece/trouser pockets for the key.

Treat yourself to a tin of butter shortbread biscuits and eat them before re-using the tin.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,876 Posts
The car before last, did NOT have the sun roof installed, I missed it almost straight away.
We always insisted on having a sunroof in our cars, until about 5 years ago when we bought our first with air conditioning. The it was a case of, sunroof, who needs a sunroof. Pano roof on MG though is in a different class. Absolutely love it. In fact there's very little I can find wrong with the MG. Maybe the buying experience rates as pretty poor.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Organised car gangs with the equipment to hijack the signal are not stealing MGs 🤣🤣
Hey, don’t under estimate the “Pond Life”.
They will take anything that they can get !.
I am concerned that in a few years time, we could see EV’s going missing, then found with there HV batteries missing.
There has been a recent trend of catalytic converters being stolen from cars over night.
The “Pond Life” have found these are bringing a good price’s at the scrap metal dealers.
If they can sell it, they will steal it !.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
194 Posts
I have no doubt EVs will be stolen and stripped for parts just like any other high value vehicle is today. Keyless entry seems to be such a bad idea I just don't know why it's still pursued. I think it's one of those where they balance the convenience of the many against the small number of thefts and say "ah, screw it" and offer it anyway.

All these issues and others would be solved too, by the way, if they just reduced the range of the key sender unit. The number of times I've woken up to unlocked vehicles because the keys were in a pocket/bag and got pressed accidentally is just not funny. Hell, even if they made the buttons a bit harder to press .. !

·
Registered
204 Posts
Surely pressing a button and keyless entry are two things. Remote central locking has been around for yonks and only user error can leave the car unlocked. Keyless entry is, or so I am led to believe, only active when the fob is within an arms length of the car. Therefore, for someone to use a signal booster to steal your car they would need to get that close to the fob themselves. Therefore no tin hats are required, just don't leave it next to a window.

As Goldie Looking Chain once said "guns don't kill people, rappers do".......man will always try to steal from man and there is nothing we can do about it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Organised car gangs with the equipment to hijack the signal are not stealing MGs 🤣🤣
Before the lockdown, my other half returned to the MG charging in a car park to find a hooded youth on a BMX near the car. He refused to move away despite being asked what he wanted. Later when she told me about this I explained about keyless entry fob cloning and it was very obvious this could have been what was being attempted. Have not been back to same car park since.
We always use the fob buttons. Is there a way to turn off the keyless entry?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If they can sell it, they will steal it !.
Exactly. Many years ago I had my car broken into and the steering wheel airbag stolen (nothing else, the only damage being the door opened with a screwdriver). At the time the replacement cost £800 and the Police found a repair shop that had repaired a series of cars that exactly matched a series of thefts in the area. Nobody was prosecuted.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,643 Posts
They definitely steal parts to order. I took my car to the VW dealer on a Monday last year and noticed a new car with cardboard taped over a window. When I enquired about this they said that the radio had been stolen from that car and one of the rear light clusters from another new car overnight on their floodlit forecourt.

A regular occurrence apparently.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
194 Posts
Surely pressing a button and keyless entry are two things. Remote central locking has been around for yonks and only user error can leave the car unlocked. Keyless entry is, or so I am led to believe, only active when the fob is within an arms length of the car. Therefore, for someone to use a signal booster to steal your car they would need to get that close to the fob themselves. Therefore no tin hats are required, just don't leave it next to a window.
Yes, both are prone to issues that are broadly separate. It's not so much that people "leave the car unlocked", but a key that gets pressed accidentally while in bags/pockets can unlock the car from hundreds of yards away without any way of you knowing it's done so.

Yes they recommend moving your keys away from the boundaries of your house so they can't be booster grabbed from, but the only real answer is to have a hard disable. Faraday cage... ?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I clearly remember seeing an image of a GTE on the forum where almost the complete front end of the car being stolen !.
The car had been broken into and then the front bumper cover, cash bar and head lights etc had all been taken.
Parts stolen to order for another accident damaged car somewhere I guess !.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I remember a piece of car folk-myth many years ago explaining why it was extremely rare to see a broken down Rolls Royce.
The story was that a pantechnicon was rapidly despatched by RR to the spot and then winch the broken-down car inside to be hidden from view. And then taken away for repair.
Seems to me a similar pantechnicon trick could be arranged for any car, to remove it to a dismantling yard trading the parts. No key necessary...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,643 Posts
I remember a piece of car folk-myth many years ago explaining why it was extremely rare to see a broken down Rolls Royce.
The story was that a pantechnicon was rapidly despatched by RR to the spot and then winch the broken-down car inside to be hidden from view. And then taken away for repair.
Seems to me a similar pantechnicon trick could be arranged for any car, to remove it to a dismantling yard trading the parts. No key necessary...
Or take three. Put them in a container and ship them anywhere in the world then sell them whole.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
Yes, both are prone to issues that are broadly separate. It's not so much that people "leave the car unlocked", but a key that gets pressed accidentally while in bags/pockets can unlock the car from hundreds of yards away without any way of you knowing it's done so.

To avoid this, cars generally relock to avoid accidental unlocking and leaving unlocked. Which is why cars self lock if a door isn't opened usually within 30seconds of the key being pressed.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
194 Posts
They do, but they don't always if for example the accidental button press occurs more than once.. or if the car opens all the windows, or if it's a remote boot release action.. let's face it there is literally no reason for these things to work from so far away...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,643 Posts
They do, but they don't always if for example the accidental button press occurs more than once.. or if the car opens all the windows, or if it's a remote boot release action.. let's face it there is literally no reason for these things to work from so far away...
I have found the long distance operation of the unlocking useful quite often in a big carpark since the lights come on too. That helps me find the car when I can't quite remember where I left it.

That's a pushbutton remote though controlled by me. I really don't want a keyless system but I can't see how to avoid it on my next car!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
194 Posts
I have found the long distance operation of the unlocking useful quite often in a big carpark since the lights come on too. That helps me find the car when I can't quite remember where I left it.
The i3 can send a "light flash" command using the app, if that's likely to help, but you'd have to be in line of sight to the front/rear of the car anyway. I dunno, I think this would be a small loss compared to the security of knowing you don't have to be ultra careful with the key when you're not right next to the car. Or the keys need to come designed with a slide-up cover to protect the buttons. Just, something needs to change..

Keyless entry certainly shouldn't become the default, imo. (And I think it'll be a long time till run of the mill cheap cars get it.)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts