Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Leaf's have a design flaw with the Top of the RH 'for UK' (offside) where rain water from the windscreen deposits onto the suspension cap and top nut for the front suspension strut.
A few very early models have reported the top bearing seizing from rust and requiring replacement.
All owners should cut / model a large yogurt pot, or other cap, to place over the strut head to deflect rain water away and prevent in pooling in the cap.
Easily accessible with the bonnet up.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had an idea for a cheap, practical solution for a strut cover that I have used, so thought I would post and share.

Firstly you need 4 packs of Bostik Blue Tack (economy packs are a quid each at poundland)
Secondly a new plastic sandwich of freezer bag.

Open 2 packs of Blue Tack and remove the grease proof paper from one side only and slide into the plastic bag.

Now fold over the opening of the plastic bag and any other slack and Sellotape down well to made air tight.

Remove the struct cover and make sure that the strut recess that holds water is perfectly dry ( I used a cloth to dry it out and put the hairdryer on it to make sure)

Now slide the pack into the hole and position so that the middle of the pack is in the middle of the strut recess with the greaseproof paper side upper most. Now get your hand inside and using your fingers, form the pack well onto the strut recess and surrounding area.

Repeat for the other strut recess.

Once done, it won't move or rattle about and the water will drip onto the plastic bag and run away keeping the recess nice and dry. If access is needed it, easily pulls off, cheap effective solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My ebay, 3D-printed covers arrived yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect but they do fit nice and flush. I guess time will tell if they do the job...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts