Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD
What is this witchcraft!? 5.6 miles/kWh without even trying! View attachment 145807

This trip included a stint on the motorway at 70mph too. I've come from a Leaf 40 and I don't think I've ever seen 5.6 miles/kWh and definitely not if I wanted to drive any of the trip at 70mph.
Averaging 5.2 over 6500 miles.

Indeed it is driven by mystical forces! 馃槉

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
I have no desire to top others stories and these days and I am also regularly seeing figures between 5 and 6 with mid 4's on fast motorway journeys. But my flabber was well and truly gasted the other day. I was leaving a tiny village near Clitheroe with around five miles of narrow lanes to get to the A59. It was a warm day and there were no hills around.

Just as I set off a tractor pulled out in front and created a roadblock but also enabled us both to proceed very sedately, without stopping along those single-track roads as every other car simply gave way to let us through. Just as I approached the main road I glanced down and saw 8.1.

What?

I pointed that out to my wife and it immediately dropped to 8.0 and then 7.9 as I pulled onto the main road. 10 miles of A59 and then 15 miles of a very busy M6 brought it down to 5.9 then back to 6.0 over the next 3 miles of B roads, including a long downhill section in Parbold, but even that is truly impressive. These cars are unbelievable at times.

Registered
Ioniq EV Premium 38.3kWh (Leaf 30 sold)
Coming from a Leaf I鈥檓 also impressed in how accurate the GOM is - yesterday car charged to 100% GOM read 180 miles, drove to destination 90 miles away and had 90 mile range and 50% battery left ! I must admit I gave it a quick top up at an InstaVolt on the return journey where it was charging at 42kw which was not bad.

Registered
Speed, aero, rolling resistance and weight are all factors. In the summer my e-Up! gives me 5+ kWh on a regular basis, that's thanks to lower weight and better rolling resistance (or lack of) in comparison with more expensive cars.

I'm assuming the Ioniq is similarly blessed.

Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
Agree with all of the stories here. Quite incredible. We have done 10K miles in ours over 2 winters and lots of motorway at 65-70 mph. The average over this distance is 4.5 miles/kWh.

Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
So far, simple to maintain, regular 330 mile journey with a top up and 2 full recharges, made easier now with 60kWh Gridserve, old 34kWh EH were ignored. Only difficulty is Carnforth to Dumfries in winter in a head wind over Shap at 316m, arriving at Instavolt with 8 miles left, but there are 2x2 rapids and CPS also.

Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
Depends on conditions, down to 3.2m/kWh at 0c for 100mile journey at 60mph (but needed to get warm, twice after ferry), then improved to 4.2m/kWh going over Shap on M6, was up to 4.8 on final section of M6 but so much traffic it was down to 20-50mph, but got home without incident. Lots of trees chopped up on the roadside. First section normally easily achieved but arrived with only 15 miles left, 2/4 chargers occupied. Generally on that Sunday the roads were very busy and chargers occupied.

Registered
Return trip today. 100 miles dry roads, 50 M'way at true 70 on CC as traffic was light, remaining 50 was half at 65-ish with heavy traffic, then this cleared. I did last 25 miles at genuine 75 to make up. Temp 8C, all cabin heated to 21.5, fan 1, sunshine most of the way helped the heating I expect. Possibly a slight trailing wind as I was going south, and wind's from the north?
Started with 90% (of 38.4 kWh max) SOC, no preheating, remaing range was 33 miles. So 133 miles at 8C driving fast. I'm very pleased with that!

edit: forgot to add this was 3.8 m/kWh.

Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
Even though winter has now reared its ugly head I鈥檓 still getting lower 5m/kWh accumulated pottering around locally. Recently on a 70-mile mixed trip of motorway and A roads I got 4.6m/kWh driving in normal mode mostly around 60mph with the odd burst of 70mph if overtaking on motorways.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got 4.1 miles/kWh over 200 miles this weekend in absolutely shocking weather. Torrential rain, flooded roads, wind and temperatures around 2-5C. 150 miles of that was motorway and the rest rural roads. I was targeting 65mph-70mph on the motorway but traffic and poor visibility brought it lower at times.

I suspect my old Leaf 40 would have struggled to stay above 3 miles/kWh in the same conditions.

Registered
Just did a longish return trip to London last weekend of 480 miles (including driving around the city). A1 on the way down, M1 on the way up, damp/light most of the time and got 4.8 miles/kWh with the limiter set to 65 though, as always, there were several speed restricted zones. It somehow seems to be getting more efficient year on year

Registered
4.4mi/kWh average over a 908 mile trip last weekend. Mostly M5/M6/A74M, 2+1dog going up and 3+1 dog and rammed with washing and presents coming back. Temps 8C to minus 1C, average 2C. Heating set auto 20C all the time, with heated seats and steering wheel where necessary. Cruise on motorways set at indicated 65mph apart from the last 70 miles when I knew I could arrive with no contingency and set at 75ish indicated. Pre-heated on Day 1 but not on Day 2 return.
Some decent legs considering our motorway roadworks and traffic volumes
Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Electronic device

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.