Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A.K.A. Mr Bean's fuel cell car: further proof that Hydrogen cars require an Uglytic Converter to run..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
£2 million (roughly $2.9 million) grant from the Welsh government to develop its first car.

Next, they need to start trading carbon credits and announce the equivalent of battery swap stations...

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,210 Posts
I'm sick of tax £ go up in water vapour. Until they sort the H2 production these H2 cars are just a folly and are probably actually damaging the public take up of EVs. The number of time I've seen comments on public media sites along the lines of "battery cars are rubbish, just hang on for fuel cells". Yeah. Ok. If you don't mind paying more than petrol for your fuel (before tax is added) and £60,000 for your car (sold at a loss) then yep, fuel cells aer just around the corner.

By all means carry out research on how to make fuel cell stacks cheaper, and how to produce hydrogen cheaply without using fossil fuels as a feed stock, but just stop wasting the money on trying to integrate them into vehicle platforms using currently expensive technology with know known solution to creating the "energy carrier" as H2 isn't actually a fuel. It would be quiet easy to run a fuel cell stack on a test bench under life like load profiles and temperatures. No need to build a car around it.

Now - if they wanted to design an electric "dolly" to take a range of body shapes on top, that would be much more sensible. Single seat open wheeler, enclosed 2 seater convertible , 2+2 coupe, 5 seat small family car, 3 seat small delivery van etc. Say 30kWh + REX option. That would be a real alternative to an ICE at an affordable price tag. Design the REX in a frame so it can be removed and swapped to a fuel cell at a later date if they ever get to under £100/kW vs the over £1,000/kW they appear to cost now. (Units are correct - I mean power output not energy storage).

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Plenty of hydrogen refuelling stations in Wales hence the funding ;)
This sort of thing used to be called "smoke and mirrors" but now its simply hydrogen!

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
I have a vague memory of seeing the previous car from riversimple, maybe at LCV or something. It looked terrible, inside and out, and wasn't available to drive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another way to look at is to regard hydrogen as just another way of storing electricity, possibly more efficiently than a lithium battery. To all extents and purposes, a car with a fuel cell is an electric car. If it makes economic sense for forklifts, I can't see why it couldn't for cars as well. If onsite hydrogen fuelling stations are practical for warehouses, why not for filling stations? I'm reserving judgement here.
Industrial mobility equipment is one of the fastest growing users of fuel cell technology today. Fuel cell forklifts help lower total logistics costs for companies. Operating for a longer period of time between refills/recharging and requiring less maintenance means that fuel cell forklifts help lower logistical costs. Fuel cell forklifts have a longer run time than battery-powered forklifts. Warehouses and distribution centers with onsite hydrogen fueling stations enjoy a refueling time of only a few minutes, compared to the half hour or longer it takes to change out a battery. When battery storage and changing rooms are eliminated, more warehouse space is available for products.
Forklifts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Sounds like this company will go bust immediately the grants stop coming. What a waste of taxpayers money.

Just imagine if Wales had spent a percentage of that money on improving charging infrastructure in the country, though looking at how important oil is to their economy (Haverford West etc) Pembroke Refinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can see why they might be pushing hydrogen.

It's the future init. :cautious:

Pembroke Refinery

P

·
0 Posts
I'd quite like a Mirai. If someone gave it to me. And built at least one hydrogen station within an hour's drive :unsure:

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,210 Posts
Call me a skeptic but it you want to introduce a new technology that's untried and a bit difficult to live with, you need to make sure the car actually has some appeal to everyone. You know like BMW did with the i3 :whistle:

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Somebody tried with this idea about 15 years ago;

That didn't really sell well and petrol is quite readily available. I do wonder how well the new car would be if it was a super economical EV rather than hydrogen powered?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,793 Posts
Develop affordable technology then sell it to a mass market manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
Somebody tried with this idea about 15 years ago;

That didn't really sell well and petrol is quite readily available. I do wonder how well the new car would be if it was a super economical EV rather than hydrogen powered?
Actually more like the 1996 Honda JVX

1 - 20 of 538 Posts